Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 New to bird dog training...HELP >

New to bird dog training...HELP

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New to bird dog training...HELP

Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 AM

Default New to bird dog training...HELP

I am new to upland hunting and dog training. I have a 8 week old well bred GSP. Im just looking for any tips or guidance to get the ball rolling in the right direction...Thanks guys!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to bird dog training...HELP

What training program are you planning to follow?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 AM

Not sure...That would be why I am asking for any advice or guidance...
Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: MossyOak722

I am new to upland hunting and dog training. I have a 8 week old well bred GSP. Im just looking for any tips or guidance to get the ball rolling in the right direction...Thanks guys!

Well it sounds like you have put the cart in front of the horse - with that said I would start looking on-line for some good books on training a pointing dog.

Yep, its sounds pretty obvious doesnt it?.

I've read a couple BEFORE I got my pup and it gave me a good benchmark from which to start. I knew exactly how I wanted my dog to be trained. Its been over 5yrs since I picked one of thosebooks up.The titles and authors elude me at the moment - But I did buy all of them from Amazon,
Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 12-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Definately get a book or a DVD.
Talk to a trainer, join a club.

8 weeks, we want to let the dog be a puppy, your just potty training, interaction is good, building a bond. Let the pup sniff some bird wings, see if it points. No yard work yet though. Start playing with him, teaching things like "Here", "sit", "NO", no biting, manners, etc.

Right now you are not focused on formal training, its just time for fun stuff, being a puppy. You wont start any type of that stuff for atleast another 6 weeks I would suggest. Use this time to find a good system, a good trainer, or a club.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend the George Hickox Dvd set. I also would not start shooting or anything too early. Let him build trust in you and get to be "pals". I have heard of people not shooting around the dog till 1 year but I do it a little earlier (8-10 months). Get him to have fun with a tennis ball and when he loves that rubberband a quail wing or pheasant tail feathers to the ball. I am no expert but this is what I have been taught. I am sure someone on here does things totally different but my English Pointer turned out great and just the way I wanted him, my buddy, great bird dog, and makes it even more fun to hunt.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

Get a good puppy book, any book will do.

If you are going purely upland hunting, Huntsmith's Puppy Development Video I is good for starters. Vol II starts where Vol I leaves off about 6 months - 1 year of age. Personally, I wouldn't go with any Hickox books. From what I hear, never read them, but he suggests hitting the dog in his earlier books.

Read Delmar Smith's book if upland hunting or NAVDA's book for versatiles for waterfowl and upland (highly recommended by others).
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM

If you really want to ruin a young dog....start out with heavy handed training. Previous post have got it right, with a pup keep it fun! don't over work them. Lots of short training sessions are better than long ones. Young dogs are like young kids; short attention span.

Before you go on to the next lesson, make sure they have learnedthe previous one completely. Don't hesitate to go back and re-teach lessons as well.

Best tip: don't loose your patients.......if you start getting frustrated STOP, come back t it later.