Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Purina Pro Performance?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Purina Pro Performance?

I am sorry ifI didn't appear that way, because no doubt you are feeling very sorry. I know that what had happened has happened to many dogs in the past with none of them ment to have happened. I can tell it isn't like you wouldn't care that is why I mentioned rescue dogs. I was just thinking that getting a hold of a kennel that breeds them would be able to give you the best advise on a particular breed that is all. If they have been breeding them for years they can offer some great advise if they are willing and I am thinking most would. They are breeding to better the breed as well as sell so why wouldn't they offer some info on them? I also know what it is like to watch someone keep his dog on a chain and do nothing but feed it. I watched that happen and little kids come around it with sticks and stuff. Only to make the dog ugly around kids and then be put down because it took to biting them. That is sad when they know different and do not care and would not let someone else have it.

I know your case was nothing like this that is why you have asked questions and is concerned with hopes it doesn't happen again. The sad part is it will happen to someone else out there at some point in time. I hope it is none of us on here. Good Luck with your new pup as well as the other dogs..
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: Purina Pro Performance?

Oh no, I didn't take it that way, sorryif my post wasunclear. I meant I feel guilty about not getting the newest dog from the pound, and going to a breeder instead. I do feel awful about what happened to my old dog, and there's not a day that I wouldn't trade the new one for her.We took her in immediately when we saw she was bloated, and the vet could not find a twist in her gut, so gave her charcoal and sent her home. I stayed up as late as I could with her, but I was sotired I fell asleep on the floor. I checked on her at 1.30am, and she seemed to be more settled and was sleeping. When I woke up at 3 she was gone. I am glad if it had to happenit happened at home with her friends around though, rather than at the vets.We took her into the vet for an autopsy, and the twist was so bad that even if we had managed to get her there in time, they still couldn't have done anything. We live an hour from town, but the vet told us even if people who livenearbyget their dogs in almost immediately, they usually can't save them and if they do their digestive system isn't the same. We'll get the new puppy's stomach tacked when she is spayed, and that is usually between 85 and 90% effective in preventing a twisted gut.

I'm sorry if I went off topic on this thread; it worries me when I hear of anyone feeding once a day. Also,yet another tip from our vet that might help, deep chested dogs should not be allowed to drink a lot at once after exercise. It's fine to give them some, and then more a few minutes later, butdon't let them drink anddrink until they overdo it after running.