Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

garmin astro

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Default garmin astro

anybody out there using the garmin astro yet?

i'm pretty interested in getting one but $600 is a lot to spend to try something out
Old 10-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Default RE: garmin astro

This equipment is awesome!!! very easy to use and what a way to keep up with the dogs, especially when you are hunting several. I have had one for several months now and love it. Great product worth the money.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I also have one and just love it. The only thing I did not like it comes with no memory so I was forced to buy a chip so I could download Topo maps into it as I have several other Garmins I sue while hunting.

Now do like I did and buy one form E-bay Ias I waited a bit and I found mine brand new for 450! I also bought my chip on e-bay for 11.29 rather than the 25.00 the Gramin Acessory Store had for sale.

JW
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM

I've got one, and have been using it allot.
So far so good, Just concerned about 2 things. The external antenna. It has taken allot of abuse and starts to show signs of ware after a couple weeks of use. In the woods it has trouble, showing no dogs or dog on point. False, I can see the dog running in front of me.
Either way, i think it is a great tool and hope that one day i can trust it enough to loose the TRACKER system that works great.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have garmin gps.
its fine in deer season after leaves are off trees but with leaves on, you will go in your pants with 30 minutes of light left and canopy is blocking signal.
this has happened more than once.

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,m ake sure you carry a compass and check it also before you go in woods .
Old 11-03-2007, 03:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deleted
Old 11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Spike

if you are a dog hunter at any level, the garmin astro will improve you kill percentage. I shot a 283 pound bear this fall in the aid of the astro. One problem with it is the antenna sticking up off the dog. I've lost an antenna already, but if you call Garmin with your serial number, they will send you a new antenna for free. Ifyou have any question, just ask.