Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

HELP NAME MY SETTER!!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 PM

Default HELP NAME MY SETTER!!

HI!!

I have an english setter puppy named Cameron. Ive actually given him a middle name.. so its really Cameron James. i just like to give a "human" feel to the names i pick. but im stuck on what to put on the papers. Hes going to be FDSB registered and possibly AKC. He is an amazing mellow, perfect little boy. He almost never does any wrong.. hes my little angel. he came from fireside kennels in New Lisbon WI. the breeders last name is Wyss. i pretty much suck at this. so far the best i got is... Firesides Calming Cameron. i really hate it!! REALLY REALLY! which is why im here. lol. HELP PLEASE! he is a tricolored belton with a black patch over his eye with a brown eyebrow inside the black. for those who dont know the setter colors.. he's white with black and brown spots..and then he has the patch described above.

i just dunno what to go with...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP NAME MY SETTER!!

Firesides Cameron James, Firesides Spotty Cameron, Firesides Patch Cameron, Firesides Mellow Cameron, Firesides Perfecting Cameron, Firesides Perfect Cameron,
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Firesides James Cameron
Old 09-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

What people usually do is to use kennel name - ancestry - personal name. So, it would run like Fireside Tamoka Tranquil/Tim/etc if your pup has Tamoka lines. My dogs came from Kimbu K Kennels, with alot of Wind'em blood so I name her Kimbu Wind'em Kelly.

BTW, it sounds like you're possibly going either breed him or field trial. If neither of those two then its not necessary to register them except for perhaps vanity (like me ).
Old 09-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Anyone who refers to a bird dog as a belton color, does not knowsthe differnecebetween a bird dog anda hole in the ground.
Stop Buying Dogs that are bred for Hunting If you will never Hunt The Dog.
I Know this because you are asking about what to name the poor thing instead of what you should be doing and teaching the pup now before hunting season.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:38 AM

First things first. thanks for all the help guys. i have no idea what to go with. but ill figure somehting out!! you all had really good ideas that got my brain working a lil better..

And PLEASE stop making assumptions!! If only you could see what an amazing hunting dog he is. i dont know what or who you think you are talking to but i have trained several dogs to hunt and i dont think i would need to ask any questions about training him..so back off bub!! get your stuff straight. if youd like i can take a video of him doing point sessions and practicing out in the feild learning to back our pointers..he's out in the feilds hours a day getting all ready for his first hunt. he loves it, and so do i.

im sorry i dont know where people get off saying that kind of stuff to someone they dont know anything about..but its rather rude! my hunting dogs are my life. i wouldnt "not hunt" them for the world..

oh..i do plan to possibly breed him. he's actually this first setter ive owned im used to the energy of labs and pointers so im really loving the breed. if all things go well i should actually be getting a orange female within 6 months or so.. im still debating between a few breeders

Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 PM

What exactly is a point session? How do you do effectively train for hours a day with a puppy? Why would consider breeding the dog not having proved itself asworthy enough to contribute something to the breed?
Since you want an orange female what breeds are debating over and why?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

DALE Where have you been man????
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 PM
jwy

I DONT KNOW ABOUT SETTERS,BUT WHEN YOU CHECK OUT BRITTANY NAMES YOU FIND THAT HISTORICALLY THE NAME AND YEAR GO TOGETHER.IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT THIS YEAR IS THE "C" YEAR FOR BRITTS.I TRYING TO KEEP IT UP MYSELF AND HAVE THREE PUPS NAMED CAMRON(CAM),CAITLIN(KATE),CRYSTAL(CRISSY).DONT KNOW IF THIS HELPS OR NOT BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS A NEAT TRADITION.I USUALLY DO INCLUDE THE KENNEL NAME AND AN ADJECTIVE IN THE NAME ON THE PAPERS.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:32 PM

a point session is when we have him out in the feild and work on his point.teaching him woah and other commands we use in the feild. we just try to keep his focus on pointing while another pup is running around... its just a "term" i use.

how do i effectively do it??? easily. just bring him out along with a few of our other pups and work with them. its as simple as that. we are currently working on the retreiving.. a few of them have it down perfect.. but Cam just wont hold it. He's fine until we start tossing around the feathers. he would rather rip the feathers off then retreive it to me. so we've been working with him on Hold. and hes progressing.. it just takes time... hence the few hours a day.

im not debating over breeds at all. i just dont know what "breeder" to go with.He's an amazing dog and ive even had a few people already say they would love a pup out of him.

i dont understand what you are asking all of these questions for... ive got nothing to prove to you... im not here to make enemies. i dont know what your deal is???

Quick Reply: HELP NAME MY SETTER!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.