Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German jagdterrier

Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default German jagdterrier

Anyone own a jagdterrier?
I've got a male, about 16 months old. I use him for hogs, moose, roedeer and predator hunting.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Spike

I was filming this for a while now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU3S...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Spike

I do not, but hoping to get one in the future. They're awesome little dogs.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Spike

Have had great luck with our Jag. Great desire to hunt, good with family and kids, lots of energy. Not a dog for everyone, can be very hard headed. I have had a lawn mower and a tractor damaged because a mouse found a home there and the Jags were on a seek and destroy mission. Will be breeding my female this week.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 PM
Spike

I'd love to own one in the future, they are badass little dogs!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mkhtk79
I'd love to own one in the future, they are badass little dogs!
Research before you do. I don't know much about the U.S. lines, but the real deal German lines are mostly half feral. Mostly pen to carry case, to hunt, to carry case to kennel. I wouldn't consider them an inside dog or good with kids. High energy, aggressive and half wild. When I think of Jagt terrier I picture a Tasmanian Devil. They are good hunters, really strong prey drive, fearless and aggressive.

I was thinking of getting one and decided to get a Plummer terrier, most of the good traits of a Jagt Terrier, but a bit easier to control. Most of the working Terriers are wound kind of tight. and can be a handfull.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Spike

To All,

As a goodly percentage of our local wild game tends to be larger & tougher than in Western Europe/British Isles, personally I prefer a KERRY BLUE or AIREDALE terrier to any of the smaller terriers for hunting. = Frankly, I think that any German Jagd Terrier would come out second best in a fight with a coyote, coydog, bobcat or (worse yet) a feral hog.
(Here in South TX, we have AGGRESSIVE coyote-feral dog hybrids that may well weigh up to 50KG & Russian-domestic cross feral boar to 125KG plus. Some of our male Bobcat may weigh 25KG plus & a "tangle" with one of them will tell all-comers that they are "No couch kitty-cats".)

Note: I was once stationed in BRD & hunted extensively there, so I know a bit about German hunting.

just my OPINIONS, tex

Last edited by stand watie; 06-21-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I had a really nice Female years ago, She came from Goran Canadic, Goran is From Croatia, That man lived and breathed Jagdterriers, he understands the Breed Far better than most.

My Female was an AMAZING little Dog, Jagdterriers are NOT for the faint of heart, They are BRUTAL little Hunting Dogs. My Female weighed 15 pounds, She Killed MANY Boar Coons in the 20 plus pound range, and she did so by herself. I seen full grown hounds stand back and Bay While my Little Jagd was Killing the Coon. A good Bred Jagd is a BEAST of a little Dog!! Folks that think Jack Russels are Tough, Gamey Little Dogs Really have NO CLUE what a HARD Gamey dog is.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy has a mixed Jadgterrier and Airdale, maybe 20-25 lbs. I watched it kill a 45 lb. Roe doe in seconds. For some reason the Doe decided to hide instead of run, maybe she had a fawn nearby. We looked for the fawn until well after dark and never found or heard anything.
Another buddy turned his two Jagdterreirs loose in a stack of Hay rolls. The farmer had been complaining that the Cows refused to eat the Hay because it was full of Fox scat and urine. Fox are notorious for being able to navigate through small openings and most dogs can't follow because their chest is too deep. Jadgtterriers are bred for this. One Terrier latched onto a Fox, the second Terrier in its excitement latched onto the first Terrier. We pulled the whole bunch out of the Hay rolls still latched onto each other. We had to use a stick to get the jaws open on both Terriers to get them to release.
Pound for pound Jagtterriers are ferrous little dogs, kind of the Wolverine of the dog world.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Spike

54bore; MudderChuck,

Despite the TRUTH in your posts & other, what chance do you believe a Jagt terrier would have against a 125KG Russian-Domestic hybrid boar.
(I once saw such a feral boar of about 100KG tear-up a well trained & very game Pit Bull/catch dog, that likely weighed at least 25KG. = The Pit got 2nd place in the ugly/bloody fight.)

That's why the Texas Blue Lacey was "created" from coyote, English Shepherd, wolf, pit bull & perhaps other breeds to herd, trail & fight wild hogs..
(Truth is that the Lacey family is VERY SECRETIVE about what breeds were actually used to create the breed. = Truthfully, outside of the Lacey family, I don't think anyone KNOWS the "mix", though I know one small animal vet in Athens, TX who CLAIMS to actually know.)

Personally, IF I really wanted a BIG/TOUGH & game dog that can actually WIN a fight in the brush with a big boar, it would be a pup from a local breeder, who calls his dogs: SPOTTED CURS. - He's been breeding his "local variety" of Cur for likely 2 decades plus.
(The males at maturity weight about 40-55KG, with the females about 10KG less. - NO, Mr. Brownlee won't tell anyone his "recipe" either.)
My mechanic's father, Adolphus ___________ de ________________, in south San Antonio has an about 5-6YO male SPOTTED CUR that is steel gray with half-dollar size black spots. = "Fetch" was being "taken for a walk" by one of Adolphus's grandsons in the Fall of 2017 when a pack of feral dogs attacked grandson/cur. - The pack of feral dogs LOST the fight, though Tomas & the Spotted Cur were injured in the melee. = When Steve (my mechanic) & his dad were called to the scene, they found 4 of the dog-pack's members dead & one that had to be put down. The rest of the pack had departed the area.

yours, tex

Last edited by stand watie; 06-22-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Quick Reply: German jagdterrier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.