Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Did I miss her heat cycle? >

Did I miss her heat cycle?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Did I miss her heat cycle?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default Did I miss her heat cycle?

I have a 17 month old GSP she was supposed to be in heat for the second time 4 weeks ago. I watched her close and did not see any signs of her being ready to breed. It was very obvious the first time she went in heat, 7 months ago. Did I miss something or is it possible for the second heat to come in after the 6 month period.

Thanks, T.R.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 AM

Default RE: Did I miss her heat cycle?

Some dogs are like clockwork, every six months to the day. Other dogs only come in once a year. Some will miss a cycle and then go back to every six months... You will just need to figure out your dog. First heat will usually come in between six and 12 months, but I have had one that wasn't until after that and then waited a year before the next and then went to six months like normal. Go figure! I try to write down on each dog's folder when I first notice blood dripping so I have a record. I have had an accidental breeding before. It was something that I was planning on doing anyway, but I was going to wait another cycle before trying it.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply. I saw blood droppings about 4 weeks ago but that was the only sign.Do you think she might still come in heat soon or is it most likely that it will notbe untilthe next cycle?

T.R.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 AM

Sometimes they won't swell at all. If you saw blood, my guess is she went through her cycle. 4 weeks out, she is probably done and you will have to wait until next time if you are wanting to breed.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Silent Heats" are not that uncommon. You have to use extreme caution, but an easy way to tell is to bring a male around her when you think she "migh" be in heat.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

"extreme caution" is right Things can happen in a really big hurry, especially if it's an experienced male.

I would also say you probably missed, but I would keep an eye on her anyway. We have the luxury of having both males and females. Our boys always let us know as much as a week ahead of time when one of our girls is going to go into season, before there are any signs of the season. Almost more flirting than humping.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Spike

Thanks for everyone's replies. I put her in with the male and he has showed no interest for 3 days now. I probably missed it. Maybe next time. Thanks again.

T.R.