Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog names

Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dog names

What are the names of your dogs? I am getting a new dog, and I am having a hard time choosing a name, so I figured that some of your dog names might help me decide on one.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 AM

Default RE: Dog names

The black Lab my family had when I was growing up was Sheba. Her registered name was Lady Sheba of Midland, don't ask me why.

The yellow Lab my Dad has now is Augustus McRae, after the character in Lonesome Dove. We call him Gus.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

After training numerous pointers for field trialing I found that you need to name a dog with a one or twosylable name and something that he will not confuse with whoa or stop or go or fetch or any other command that you might give him.

A good choice is one that ends with a "eee" like Buddy. Don't do something like naming the son after the father when you will be hunting with both of them at the same time.

But on the other hand, when in the field I very seldom call him by name. Just commands and the whistle. He will learn your voice and the tone of your voice and react to that. The name probably is more important when you are feeding him and the rest of your dogs. They like their name then.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I trained my pointers and when I run them I like to use their names so I can correct one that is not going right for me. As I would want my other one to keep on keeping on.

I also choosed a name related to their origan such as mine is Irish. I named one after his color ( rust looking )so his name went Rusty Clover II and the other Roxie Heather Willow name Rusty and Roxie for short. Both have in their name an Irish plant for the country they were named after.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM

My Dad always used famous Yankee baseball players. We've had Lou, Mickey, Babe, and Casey. I followed in the tradition and named my GSP, Jeter.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My black female lab is sable (Wing Chaser's Sable). Now I name dogsrelated towhat they are used for. My male yellow os Drake (Wing Chaser's Drake) and when I get my new male his name will be Benelli, Nelli for short. I have pups right now that I might have to start and then sell because there is no buyers right now and I'm gonna name one of them Takem, and two of the pups I sold are now named Caliber and Winchester. WCL
Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i named my lab "coors" my girlfriend surpised me with him one night while i was at a bar so i had to give him a lil taste an named him what i was drinkin
Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

This site has 2K names.
http://petrix.com/dognames/
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM

I named my beagles Bo and Luke Duke.

You got to watch them around the girls though.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of dog?

I do have one suggestion. Do not have the dog's name have anything to do with it's color. For example:
Black Lab - Molly, Midnight, Raven
Cocker Spaniel - Buffy

The reason - Because it is extremely common. It seems like half the new pups I see in my practice are named in this manner.

Quick Reply: Dog names

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.