Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Where can i buy birds for dog training? >

Where can i buy birds for dog training?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Where can i buy birds for dog training?

Old 01-20-2002, 06:34 AM

Default RE: Where can i buy birds for dog training?

Hi there!

To get pigeons for training, the best way is to drive out in the country looking around farms for flying pigeons. Once you find a farm or 2 that have many pigeons flying in the daylight, then go to ask the farmer if you can come back @dusk to capture them inside the barn. Using a large fishing landing net and a flashlight, you will be amazed how easy it is to capture literally 100s of these "roosted" birds. Bring a couple of burlap sacks to keep them in while doing this too.

Good Luck! Remember...permission is key. Return trips are almost guaranteed because farmers do NOT want pigeons messing up their barns!

The "Lab-Man"
Old 01-20-2002, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

done that before lab-man a pigeon roost is east enough to make out of a little chicken wire as well some mixed bird seed and water and you can keep em for awhile
Old 01-20-2002, 05:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
done that before lab-man a pigeon roost is east enough to make out of a little chicken wire as well some mixed bird seed and water and you can keep em for awhile
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Hey Hoss!

Let's talk about your &quot;Monster Buck&quot; thing I see. Do you have a B.& C. or P.& Y. class deer to talk about? Do you ICQ? Maybe we can talk there...on ICQ some time??

Those pigeons you can also inter-twine their wings(one over the other) to keep them from flying off also. Then you need not clip the feathers, don't have to wait for them to grow back to allow flight again.

Take Care Bud!

The &quot;Lab-Man&quot;
Old 01-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

Lab-man you get a monster buck designation on this board after 500 posts i believe it is heck i don't even hunt deer just birds all kinds if it flys it dies.
intertwinning the wings does work but i like the bird to be able to flutter and flap around it excites the dog and if you can tell him whoa while all that's going on you've got it goin on
Old 01-22-2002, 10:37 AM

well i have a friend who trained his dog a little while ago and what he did was just shot them out of his yard and he also illegally shot squirrels but most of the squirrels got aay wounded
Old 01-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Not an expert on training dogs but if you want to keep a supply of quail around they are very inexpensive. You can buy chicks and keep in a large box for about 4 weeks. After that just put them in a chickenwire pen. Or get and incubator for about $30 and hatch the eggs yourself. 23 days to hatch then 14-15 weeks till they are ready to set out for the dogs. I turned them all loose last winter but will have about 1000 by the end of March. Just do a search for bobwhite quail and sort through the prices.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:19 AM

yo man i figured out a new way to catch birds. I got one this morning on bread. All i did was put a little piece of bread on a tiny hook on my ultralite, and i got a european starling.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Spike

Default doves to train dogs

if anyone needs doves for training there hunting dogs give me a holler 6057709731 preferable by text
Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dork, what you are doing is illegal and I can't believe anyone would think it was a good idea. Even though starlings have no closed season, it is illegal to catch any wildlife with fish hooks. It is a sick thing to do. Your advice stinks and I hope non one is foolish enough to take it!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckboy, I see you live in PA. There are a lot of people in PA that raise game birds that you can buy for training your dog. Just contact the PGC and get a list of game birds propagators in your area and you will be set. Do, not but birds from out of state as it is illegal and it you buy birds you will need to keep your receipts to prove they were legally obtained. If you get checked by a WCO and he asks to see the receipts and they are from out of state you will be pinched for unlawful importation of live game. The regulations regarding importation of wildlife:

§ 137.1. Importation, possession, sale and release of certain wildlife.

(a) Unless otherwise provided in this section or the act, it is unlawful for a person to import, possess, sell, offer for sale or release within this Commonwealth the following wild animals or wild birds or the eggs of the birds or a crossbreed or hybrid of the wild animals or wild birds, which are similar in appearance:

(1) In the family Felidae. Species and subspecies, except species which are commonly called house cats which may be possessed but not released into the wild. Lawfully acquired bobcats—Lynx rufus—may be imported or possessed, or both, by licensed propagators specifically for propagation for fur farming purposes. Importation permits and transfer permits as mentioned in subsections (d) and (e) are not required for bobcats imported for propagation for fur farming purposes. Bobcats imported under this exception and their progeny may not be sold or transferred for wildlife pet purposes or released into the wild.

(2) In the family Canidae. Species and subspecies of the coyote, the red and gray fox and a full-blooded wolf or crossbreed thereof not licensed by the Department of Agriculture. Lawfully acquired coyotes and red or gray foxes may be imported or possessed, or both, by licensed propagators specifically for propagation for fur farming purposes. Coyotes and red and gray foxes imported under this exception and their progeny may not be sold or transferred for wildlife pet purposes or released into the wild. This subsection does not permit the sale for release or the release of the mammals into the wild.

(3) In the family Ursidae. All species of the bears.

(4) In the family Procyonidae. All species of raccoons.

(5) In the family Capromyidae. The nutria.

(6) In the family Mustelidae. All species of the skunks.

(7) The order Primates. All families of nonhuman primates.

(8) An animal, bird or egg of a bird listed by the Commonwealth or the United States Department of the Interior as threatened, endangered or injurious.

(9) The Monk Parakeet, Myiopsitts monachus, sometimes referred to as the Quaker Parakeet or Gray-headed Parakeet.

(10) Game or wildlife taken alive from the wild, except the Commission may import wildlife taken from the wild for enhancement of this Commonwealth’s wild fauna.

(11) Game or wild held captive. Game or wildlife held in captivity or captive bred in another state or nation.

The reason is to prevent wildlife diseases from bing introduced into our populations of wildlife.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-10-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Where can i buy birds for dog training?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.