Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

baby steps....???

Old 03-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default baby steps....???

alright in the process of crate training... its almost been 48 hours..... he quit cryin so much now when he goes in ..maybe cries for like 1 minute an gives up.. which im happy for that. but he's still not likin it to much when i shut that door. i have to throw a treat with toys in there to get him to go in.. i know its suspose to be his den an like it in there so i hate to force him in there. he has not did business in the house sense ive been tryin this with him. i take him outside soon as i let him out of his crate,, longest ive kept him in there is bout 90 minutes. bring him back in an play with him lil while an then try ot put him back in for a lil while... am i doing this correctly or can i do something better... ???????
Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baby steps....???

You're doing good.
Nothing wrong with enticing crate entry with a treat.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

is it alright for the pup to not like it in his den.. so should he at this stage not mind goin in.. what i mean is goin in on his own?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

That takes a little bit of time but, he will get used to it.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

Do you leave the door open so he can be able to go in out when he likes,when there isn't a reason to lock him in. So maybe he will see it not that bad when he not forced to stay in it
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i leave it open... i throw all his toys in the back.. he'll go n an drag out his toys but wont really stay in there... ill throw a treat in the back so he'll go in an eat it then com e out.. its really surprising me the progress hes makin.... i still dont see how it completely potty trains him.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you have done a great job then
Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

how does this crate training train them to not go to the bathroom in the house???
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

They don't want to go to the bathroom where they live and it helps that you take him out a lot. Since he still has a little bladder
Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Dog's as a rule don't mess their nest. You could accomplish the same thing tieing him up very short at night. The thing that make's it work is that you take him outside right from the crate. If you tried to play with him a bit befor you took him out, he'd probally mess up. Your doing fine.

Quick Reply: baby steps....???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.