Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 good dog but scared of people! >

good dog but scared of people!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

good dog but scared of people!

Old 01-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default good dog but scared of people!

My 9 month old australian sheopard who I have raised since he was born has devoloped a wierd behavior and he is getting afraid of people. When he was little he loved everybody but when people come to the house now he becomes protective and growls and thenif he likes them he is friendly but some people he does'nt like for some reason he is afraid and I am afraid he might even bite if this gets worse. My own family he does'nt know he is like this to. he has'nt been beat by anyone I know this for sure. I don't know what to do.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: good dog but scared of people!

I think you need to socialize him around more people so he will know that it is ok. I had an Irish Setter that was like that, he still is alittle bit but getting better now.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 PM

I myself would try to have a family member that the dog does not like come to your house with a piece of jerky palmed in their fist.
When he becomes aggressive talk to him calmly and coax him to lick the closed hand of the person he does not like.
Dont pressure the dog. Dont be forceful. Just be his friend.
When he licks the fist of the person he does not like have them slowly scratch its chin with their opposite hand and ease their closed fist to touch its head or scratch behind ear...
this shows the dog this person is "above" them and the dog should be subbmissive towards the person.
Immediately have that person feed the jerky to the dog.
If the dog does bite for some reason that person shouldnot lose a finger as long as they keep their fist closed.
But I am a hillbilly Veterinary.
Not a Veterinarian. Maybe call yours. And get their opinion.

Also try to get your Sheperd to play with everyone.
This will slowly build confidence.
Fetch is easiest to get results.
the dog may not bring the ball back to the untrustedbut should retrieve at least.
"Tug'oWar" is best because the "stranger" can pet the poochy while playing.

The dog is only "protecting" its known pack inside it's "Den".
or just being a Sheperd, depending on how you wanna look at it.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Socialize him as much as you can. Walk him around town but be careful. You've got to let him know that these people are your friends. I had a friend that my dog was utterly afraid of. My dog is not aggressive, he's timid, but after many sessions where my dog was taught that he was alright, he got used to him and is now able to hunt with him and treat him like family. Some dogs just need to learn the difference between friend and foe. Treat everyone like old friends.

If your dog is bent on biting him, you will have to try a muzzle. I would put it on the dog and let the friend sooth himand pet him. Treats are one great way to let him know who's a friend. If you don't have time to let a dog warm up to others when you have company, put him in his kennel and keep him there when people are over. Don't let your dog think he's being punished though.

Socializing is the big key. Some dogs take longer than others to warm up. My dog is timid and scared of people where as others may show aggression.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info everyone, the more people I have over the better he gets.