Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Does anyone hunt with Rhodesian Ridgebacks? >

Does anyone hunt with Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Does anyone hunt with Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

Old 11-25-2002, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does anyone hunt with Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

I got a Rhodesian a couple of months ago and she appears to have great hunting instinct. She flushes rabbits with no problem and it takes a strong hand to keep from following deer trails. I was just wondering if anyone has used them as serious hunting dogs. They were used by law enforcement for trailing so their noses are good.

Dan O.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Does anyone hunt with Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

I've got a 10 mo. old Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy, and a 14 yr. old as well. The older one has arthritis so she ain't movin much, but was reported to have been seen killing a pig, and has chased pigs through our yard. Plenty of people here in Hawaii use Ridgebacks for hunting pigs. My 10 mo. "Kaya" has shown interest in hogs, as well as wild chickens. She will bay my cats up into trees and chase them through the yard. She won't grab anything with her mouth except chickens. I've taken her hunting before with my friends Pit and Brittany/Pit mix, as well as some little puppies that couldn't do much. The two pits ended up grabbing a small sow and my dog was baying it. I've heard of them being used to point birds. My dog already has the instinct to point when it's smelling things. They'd be a great dog to flush rabbits with, it'd probably catch them though.

Evan
Old 11-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're right about the catching it part. I put her on a lure course and they had trouble keeping the lure ahead of her for 800 yds (until she tired). My dog must have been raised with cats, etc. because she wouldn't harm a kitten. On the other hand I've heard that 3 Ridgebacks was the equal of a pride of 5 lions. They would seperate one and keep it at bay until the hunter could take his shot. She's the smartest dog I've ever owned.

Dan O.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:26 AM
Fork Horn

Don't have many lions in these parts. lol Must be kind of an over kill on the rabbit. These are awsome dogs and should be good on something I would think.

curt nulle
Old 11-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mountain lions? lol

Dan O.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:56 PM

they're used to hunt mountain lions, wild boar, jaguars and other big cats in the amazon, bear, small game, upland birds. if you have any hogs near your house i would highly recommend giving hog hunting a try. Chances are you'll love it, super high paced action...insane adrenaline rushs. try finding someone with pet hogs and show your ridgeback the hogs. Maybe theres a baypen around where you live.

Evan
Old 12-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately there's no wild boar in Ontario. At least none that I've ever heard of. I love hunting with Jack Russells so I can only imagine how a Rhodesian would react to a bear etc.

What is a baypen?

Dan O.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:31 PM

A baypen is just a pig pen that people throw dogs in with the pigs to train them. Yeah, sounds like you'd have to do a lot of travelling to find any pigs. I'd definetly try to bring out the hunting instinct in the dog though. Ain't nothing that dogs like more than to go chase animals!

Evan
Old 12-04-2002, 12:45 AM

as already stated, ridgebacks are hunters. some kick butt hunters to say the least. if im not mistaken they were originaly breed in africa to hunt lions. however, a very gentle dog when raised right. a friend of mine has a ridgeback. probably wieghs 110lbs, i guess thats average for a ridgeback. but man, that dog is cool. dosnt care for the water, but absolutly is a protector and a hunter. i've seen her check many o' dog she wasnt familiar with. another friend has a ridgeback and uses it to bird/rabbit hunt. without a doubt there is an instict in them to hunt. i would encourage you to bring it out.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:10 PM

Hey
I let my dog off the leash today, and like always she disapeared. She came back with a pig's tail in her mouth. I took the tail and dragged it around laying trails, one trail she followed for a long time. went maybe 400 yrds across a horse pasture, then cut through some horse trails for about 50 yrds, then tied the tail up in a tree. It was fun watching her follow the scent, zig zagging back and forth across the line that i dragged it on. She's got a really good nose on her, now i just hope she'd do it on her own when we're out hunting!

evan

Quick Reply: Does anyone hunt with Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.