Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be? >

If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:02 AM

Default RE: If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

This is a trick question, isn't it? Am I to choose between the breeds, or two specific dogs of each breed?

Currently I hunt over a Setter. He's good and I'm having a good time with him. I don't care much for the appearance of GSPs, but I've seen a bunch that hunt really good, so I guess I'd not discount them were I looking for a pointing dog. Might even try one, having already owned a Setter.

However, I already have a good idea what my next Grouse dog will be. I'll be going back to the English Springer Spaniel. 5% chance I'll get a Lab; the wife likes them.

BTW, sproulman, range in a pointing breed is a combination of 1) breeding, and 2) training. If you desire to hunt over a close working pointing dog, one can be found. It'll take a little effort in both finding a breeder, and training, but it's possible. My Setter, with whom I hunt almost exclusively Grouse and Woodcock has a maximum range of about 60 yards. He ussually finds his birds much closer than that. Anyway, just something to think about.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

i also agree on the GSP ,most i know hate the color of dog but they are real good hunters..others hate setters for hair in woods and at home..

my lab looks nice,is small,hunts grouse good,finds a bird that you could not oir think you missed..but he does not POINT at 20 yds..if he did, ole sproul would be eating grouse burgers..

so, all dogs have things that we dont like,i guess no perfect dog yet but that POINTING LAB that doc e has is something i am thinking about even tho the setter is better dog for grouse,i feel also..

from what i am seeing here in pa..after leaves drop, grouse have been shot at a lot before that..they will not HOLD for a pointing dog,they will RUN then flush..our setters we had from potter were still pointing when i got there, 75 yds away, and bird flushed 30 yds from there..

lab FLUSHES the bird at 20 yds and you WILL at least be in range even tho its a QUICK shot you have to take..

earlier in oct ,i saw pointing dogs do great, many grouse were taken with those great dogs but give me a CLOSE WORKING DOG after leaves are off anyday..
Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM

I would choose the English Setter without hesitation. I own one and use him on pheasants with great success. He has great style, great hunting ability and is the best friend you could ask for. He's of Llewellin lines. The German Shorthair is an extraordinary hunter but does not have the great style or disposition---in my opinion. They also have a coat that I hate. It is coarse and nasty---again my opinion. I haven't hunted grouse butI know that the Setter is the classic for them.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 PM

I have actually decided on an English Setter. My friend I hunt with has 2 exceptional Setters that I have hunted with alot. They are the perfect Grouse dog. I am not sure where all these people get the idea that a Setter can't hold a bird but these dogs point the birds and hold them until we get up to them. We have lost very few birds this season. I'll take Grouse hunting with a Setter over a Lab anyday. Now ducks in another story.

As for my friends Setters, he got them from his dad who is the breeder. His dad is going to have another litter this winter and I'll get pick of the litter.

Chuck
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: procos

I have actually decided on an English Setter. My friend I hunt with has 2 exceptional Setters that I have hunted with alot. They are the perfect Grouse dog. I am not sure where all these people get the idea that a Setter can't hold a bird but these dogs point the birds and hold them until we get up to them. We have lost very few birds this season. I'll take Grouse hunting with a Setter over a Lab anyday. Now ducks in another story.

As for my friends Setters, he got them from his dad who is the breeder. His dad is going to have another litter this winter and I'll get pick of the litter.

Chuck
procos, if setter hunts CLOSE ,yes,thats something..when grouse get pressured,a setter pointing gets grouse nervous and they will run or flush..they just will not hold..only what i am seeing after leaves come off..

before that, yes,setter or any other great dog we have shines..

my next dog also will be setter as i dont hunt ducks but those POINTING LABS have my attention also down road..

Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

A well-bred English Setter should hold birds as long as it takes for the hunter to arrive. It should also have enough bird sense to pin down birds so they don't wander off.

And, a good bird dog should range out and find game for you. That's the main reason to have a bird dog.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

a good bird dog should range out and find game for you. That's the main reason to have a bird dog.
Excellent point I agree!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: seattlesetters

A well-bred English Setter should hold birds as long as it takes for the hunter to arrive. It should also have enough bird sense to pin down birds so they don't wander off.

And, a good bird dog should range out and find game for you. That's the main reason to have a bird dog.
not being smart, if dog RANGES out here in bigwoods of pa..something is going to happen to that dog, lost, yote,traps,and other things..

also you will get lost and hope your GPS gets you back..i agree, if you can see your dog all time,great..as for holding grouse here in bigwoods of pa.it aint going to happen after leaves are off..take care..
Old 11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: seattlesetters

not being smart, if dog RANGES out here in bigwoods of pa..something is going to happen to that dog, lost, yote,traps,and other things..

also you will get lost and hope your GPS gets you back..i agree, if you can see your dog all time,great..as for holding grouse here in bigwoods of pa.it aint going to happen after leaves are off..take care..
Strange..some of the nicest grouse dogs on Earth are English Setters bred right there in Pennsylvania. They win top trials all the time, and are some of the best bird dogs you will ever have the pleasure of hunting over.

Somehow, I don't recall those particular dogs being in sight very often...except when we walked in on their points to shoot birds.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

English setter.

I don't get to hunt upland game much anymore, but I grew up with a setter and have hunted grouse behind three others. Wouldn't have anything else.

Quick Reply: If you had to choose between an ES or GSP for Grouse what would it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.