Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions >

Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Greetings Everyone!

After a lenghty look at our finances (we just purchased a newer home this summer and adopted our son 2 yrs ago) I can finally purchase a hunting companion of my own next summer,with of course certain requirements ( must be good with children, house-broken, and not a puppy)as made by my loving and understanding wife...

I'm thinking of getting a lab (preferably pointing) that is already started. Since I want a dog that is able to handle pheasants as well as a waterfowl. I have did a little research on the web regarding started dogs and even found a trainer or two that are close by to my location that have/will have started dogs for sale. A new puppy is out of the question. Although I will have time for a dog, I really doubt that have time needed to proper train a puppy, that and I doubt my training abilities.

I am curious though if anyone else has had a started dog before? What do you think of started dogs-are they worth it? Is there anything I should know or make sure the trainer has done with the dog before I get one? What questions should I pose to the trainer? Any trainer/breeder referrals for SE Minnesota? What should I expect or not expect with a started dog? If not to intrusive, can I ask what did you pay for your started dog?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to be really informed before I make a major commitment like this. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance for all the help

Eric Christians
SE Minnesota

Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

First of all I have never purchased a started dog, but, if I was to I would want to see him/her work. I would also want to set up some time with the trainer so the dog can get used to you giving the commands and not someone else. I can not speek about the lab but, some bird dogs can be trained to perfection only to come out being a flop when someone else is giving the command. So I think that it would be best once you decided on which to buy that you can set this time up with them. I feel it would be easier for you and the dog in the long run. That is my 2cents and good luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the reply phil,

I am plannin on working with the trainer and the dog as much as time/distance/family prioritieswill allow. My intention is to get the dog a few months prior to hunting season and continue to work on drills and commands in the backyard and on my folk's farm. That way the dog is use to my Voice and Presences.

I am curious as to what other people who have owned a started doghave to say or advice they might have. This will be my first dog and I want to be as well as informed as I can possible be.

Thanks
Eric Christians
SE Minnesota
Old 11-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Its a do or die situation, if you dont know or undertsand what you are doing, by it started......because then there is less likely room for general error. If ya know what yoru doin, get a pup, and there are so many tricks to start with, that the dog will be doing stuff, and not even realizing that its working. Simple....and consistant......will always pay off with the pups. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had started dog..he cried all time.. i took him hunting and he ran home to owner house..

i gave dog back to owner..

as said above by maine,he is right.. i would only take dog with condition i could return it within a month..otherwise, no way..
Old 11-07-2006, 06:06 PM

I trained a custom dog out of the last litter (2005) and the guy calls me every weekend to tell me how much he loves his dog and about all the amazing retrieves he has completed. I charged $3000 and he tells me it was worth every penny he spent.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lostmountainlabs

I trained a custom dog out of the last litter (2005) and the guy calls me every weekend to tell me how much he loves his dog and about all the amazing retrieves he has completed. I charged $3000 and he tells me it was worth every penny he spent.
wow, 3000 dollars..it could be that some dogs are more attached to family or owner, i dont know..you train started dogs, i dont..

i guess any dog can get used to new owner, see that everyday also..

if you could raise SMALL LABS,80 and under and they would POINT..i would be interested..here is my buddys dogs and he raises labs under 80 on males ..

bigger labs over 80 are better for ducks but get tired fast in warm weather of oct here in pa on upland..HERE IS 2 SITES,first is my buddys dogs ,second is where we train and ribbons etc..

www.wetland-retrievers.com

www.warriorsmark.com

Old 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM

well you better hurry then...I've only got 3 males left from this litter, even though they are only two weeks old. I reserve the right to pick of the litter for custom started dogs and will only produce one per litter so I can focus all my attention on training. My males top out around 75-80lbs but all that is subject to change if you over feed them...
they do naturally point...so if you are serious email me and I will give you my number so we can talk.
Bonding takes time, it's true but I train the dog to take commands from more than just me...it makes the transition easier.

why aren't you buying a dog from your buddy?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lostmountainlabs

well you better hurry then...I've only got 3 males left from this litter, even though they are only two weeks old. I reserve the right to pick of the litter for custom started dogs and will only produce one per litter so I can focus all my attention on training. My males top out around 75-80lbs but all that is subject to change if you over feed them...
they do naturally point...so if you are serious email me and I will give you my number so we can talk.
Bonding takes time, it's true but I train the dog to take commands from more than just me...it makes the transition easier.

why aren't you buying a dog from your buddy?
i did,the picture of black lab at top of site is my dogs brother..i was going to take him but he hid under table and seemed to be shy of people..mine brought my car keys back to me,then i took him..i had pick of 20 dogs in 2 litters..yet,that one is winning ribbons now..

1 litter we had all pups from SMALL parents, they are best for UPLAND.. then other litter we had BIG PUPS, for duck hunting..

these are top dogs,field hunters with great backgrounds..gary believes in giving good price on all dogs..they all sell quick..i think he charges 400 dollars..

my next one is going to be a POINTING LAB..here is another great lab breeder i know and met at trails at warriors mark..he also has GREAT dogs but not pointing ones..

www.georgehickox.com has kennel is called GROUSEWING..
Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the offer lostmountainlabs, and believe me the offer sounds very nice.
But financially it is not feasible for me right now. I won't have the moola til after may of next year. It sucks I know, but that is the way the cookie crumbles.
Where are you located by the way? This winter is all research and question asking, with a few breaks for ice fishing, of course.
I appreciate all the insight you have have given though. I know i run the risk of not have the dog become familiar with me for the beginning but that is a chance I have to take. I am confident that it will be a minor issue though, base onprevious experience.My brother's current dog was stolen at 4 months of age and only to be "re-adopted" from thelocal humane societyby my brother again after the dog had turned a year old.
But definately something to ask the trainer when I am ready...Anything else I should inquire with the trainer/breeder?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Started Dogs -Thoughts and Opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.