Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training A dog

Old 11-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Training A dog

I will not cut down a lab after owning one for 17 years. Shortly after her 17th birthday we had to put her to sleep, due to her health.( not many live that long ) She had a great nose, but, not as active as the setters are. The setters cover more ground quicker and uses the ground and air to scent by. My flushing setter will put up fourteen to eighteen birds in one hour on an average bird year. She is a great locator for my pointing setter. I like taking her out the day before I use my pointing one. They are both very fast and have no problem finding birds. IMO setters are tops for grouse and woodcock and I preffer the Irish over the English though both are good dogs as well as the gordons.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

why do you prefer the irish setter over english?i watched the english setter this week hunting grouse..i was invited to go, so i thought, what the heck..

i agree ,that es covered more ground quick..the only problem i saw was the es flushed bird to far out to get shot at it..but thats not dogs fault,our grouse here in pa. after leaves drop are one h of bird to hunt..

the labs we used always seeme to hunt real close to you,like 20 yds max..we get better shots at grouse with lab BUT they dont point,they flush bird..

i know if lab pointed it may help get few more grouse..

i agree on nose on es /is..sometimes i see lab going by a bird,but then other times they impress the heck out of me on their nose..

i agree with you, those dogs cover more area and faster but the only problem i see is they hunt to far out in front of you..

i have friend that runs preserve here in pa..he uses thos lewliilen setters..also he uses labs..he told me that setters will flush about 7 birds to 3 for lab..he said its something to do with breed, like es is bird dog and lab is retriever..

Old 11-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I preffer the Irish over the English be cause of their style. I also have 2 children home and they play nicely with them. They can be hard to handle at times if not given the time to run some of the energy off. But, once you do you can not find a better dog any where in my opion. The Irish has in its history the ability to get between kids and trouble. When hunting they look more like they are playing until they start senting birds and then it is all business. My female, as stated before, is a flusher although she will point onagain and off again. I am still trying to work with her on this. My male is a pointer and I can let them run out big or bring them in close. But, which ever I choose they are always on the go, and I have no fear of chasing around looking. They always seem to know where you are and when called come running back in to you. Their "devil may care attitude" makes them a great bird dog. I do not hunt for waterfowl but, in the Irish's history they can do well at this as well. This is how I see the Irish as a dog wanting to make it's owner happy and if trained right they can do just that.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

isnt it funny that we all have the dog we like even tho they may not be best type of dog for what we hunt..

other things like you said, dog gets along with kids etc..i think at times most of us enjoy the type of dog we have more than how many birds they will get..i know i am like that..

i still feel the more time a dog gets to hunt say grouse/pheasant,better hunter they will be no matter what type of dog..

what i see as BEST dog is one that is not afraid or can enter into the thick briars ..i see many dogs that will not go into that stuff..this is why our vice president of our beagle club has shot more pheasants than most pheasant hunters with best bird dogs..he would have got more pheasants but he uses a .410 shotgun as he is hunting rabbits..

i seen him go behind bird hunters ,right behind them and flush up pheasants..he has beagles that go into that nasty stuff..
Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman, check this out and see what others that have hunted over the Irish say about the Irish as well. This is not where mine have come from as I had found this after I flew mine in.They state they are from the UK when in fact those are Irish lines. I believe it is more of a thing where Canada honors the Queen and does not except Ireland as a country so much. Although I am not sure of the logic.So please take a moment and check this out. Check the woodcock and grouse out as well as the type of dogs. You may be very surprised at these.

www.miramichiinn.com
Old 11-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

sproulman, check this out and see what others that have hunted over the Irish say about the Irish as well. This is not where mine have come from as I had found this after I flew mine in.They state they are from the UK when in fact those are Irish lines. I believe it is more of a thing where Canada honors the Queen and does not except Ireland as a country so much. Although I am not sure of the logic.So please take a moment and check this out. Check the woodcock and grouse out as well as the type of dogs. You may be very surprised at these.

www.miramichiinn.com
braveheart wallace kicked the brits arse so i can understand why canada does not except ireland..i have not seen many irish setters at all,most here use pointers or english setter..

it may be size and hair, i dont know..it seems that the irish setters i saw were real big dogs,most like dogs smaller,but what do i know, you do..

nice info to read..boy, the grouse here dont let a dog get that close and point after leaves are off..they flush 50 yds before dog even gets there..

my neighbor had 2 irish setters and did they have energy..when they got loose ,they ran like heck ..

i like that picture of irish pointing in river, ha..i was just out back and my dog put a raccoon up tree in dark..

thanks for info..