Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

best all around dog?

Old 10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default best all around dog?

I want to get another good hunting buddy. (Mine passed a couple of years ago) She was a border collie and lab mix. Beautiful and very versitile. I would like to find another mut like this or something similar. What do you all suggest. I'm currently in the military and living in an appartment[:'(], so I am supposed to not have a dogover 40 pounds. But, my room mate and I plan on moving out in a year and trying to get a house or townhouse or something that we can have a bigger pet. So i guess aslong as the new dog does not grow to 40+ lbs in a year, we should be fine. Anyways, I want a retrieving, flushing(or pointing) dog. Am I asking too much?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best all around dog?

What kind of hunting do you do (upland - waterfowl) and how much % of each?

Old 10-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

You might want to look into the small munsterlander...

http://smallmunsterlander.org/
Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 PM

My male field bred English Cocker is right at 38lbs and he's now 2 1/2 years old. Flushes and retrieves just awesome. Stays in range and hunts hard. Perfect manners in the house.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

dog will be used mostly for waterfowl retrival. ButI like upland as well
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

I want to get another good hunting buddy. (Mine passed a couple of years ago) She was a border collie and lab mix. Beautiful and very versitile. I would like to find another mut like this or something similar. What do you all suggest. I'm currently in the military and living in an appartment[:'(], so I am supposed to not have a dogover 40 pounds. But, my room mate and I plan on moving out in a year and trying to get a house or townhouse or something that we can have a bigger pet. So i guess aslong as the new dog does not grow to 40+ lbs in a year, we should be fine. Anyways, I want a retrieving, flushing(or pointing) dog. Am I asking too much?
hunting dog in place like you have, is not way to go..wait until you have home with nice yard ..if not, i would not suggest a dog like you want..

hunting lab is what i would get not a home lab..labHAS to be exercised daily..here is site where a good friend of mine sells and raises HUNTING labs.. www.wetland-retrievers.com