Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 A Great Day eith Bird Dogs >

A Great Day eith Bird Dogs

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

A Great Day eith Bird Dogs

Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM

Default A Great Day eith Bird Dogs

Tuesday Morning was rhe first frost in the Florence, SC area.
With little chance of running across snakes, it was time to turn some dogs loose to see what they have learned.
First was some yard work with whoa excersises, next was the check cord with some live quail.
After that the hunt was on to find the released birds that got away.
The first brace of dogs was Cody (ES) and Boo (GSP) theese dogs have been hunted for two seasons.
The performance was spectacular with Boo finding the first bird and Cody backing. As I flushed the bird, the single shot 410 found the quail 25 yds out cutting to the right After a small pop the feathers puffed and bird folded up like a lawn chair
Cody found the quail and brought it to me
we went on to find another single quail Boo first on point with Cody backing again. The flush was perfect with both dogs holding steady. The single fell to the 1/2 ounce load of #8s from the 410. Cody was first on the scene of the dead bird and retreived it back to hand.
Cody was next to point on a good size covey in which one bird out of the covey met lead at 15yds out rising steadily. Boo held point staying steady to wing and shot as Cody Retreived the hen.
Next up was Big Boy (ES) he had 3 perfect finds and a steady forward race. The 2 yr old is going to make a nice feild trail dog, His style and manners on birds are close to perfect. I did not kill any birds for him just shot the blank pistol as the bird flushed.
The last Dogs to run were two GSP sisters 18 months old. There willingness to hunt and please are genuine and a joy to behold.
They both locked up sharing a find on a pair of birds. Darla the bolder one rared back as if to pounce on her quarry she soon found the tingle of the e-collar on her belly and remembered her Whoa breaking excersises.
She stood still and allowed me to flush, the pair of birds twisted up and turned to the left. The 410 quickly found the darting quail, with a small pop it was all over for Mr. Bob-White.
Pauly-Bell retreived the bird back to the point were she has first pointed.
We went on to find one more single bird with Pauly on point and Darla backing. As the bird flushed Darla lept up in the air and almost caught it. The action had to be corrected and the bird got away with out a shot being fired.
Over all the dogs performed great and the outdoor experience was something I will remeber for a long time.