Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP

Old 01-13-2002, 03:54 PM

Default GSP

how can you get apup to stay in a kennel and quit tearing holes in it.this is my third GSP.any advice will really be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2002, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GSP

Mine are the same way it's an ongoing battle with my male especially. I posted much the same question awhile back and was given some good advice by several of the guys here primarily they just want to be part of the action around the house for they are very social. I'm sure some of the others here will have some words of wisdom for you
Old 01-13-2002, 05:35 PM

Could you be more specific. Are you talking about in a porta-kennel, about in a porta-kennel when in the house, or in a potra-kennel when in the truck? Or are you talking about in a dog pen outside?
Old 01-13-2002, 07:51 PM

Shorthair, the kennel is a 6'X12' outside cyclone. he tears the gate up, or tries to anyway. He barks, whines, cries whatever he can do to try to get of it.
I appreciate any advice on this subject.
He is a male, 14 months old.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

that's what mine was doing he practically destroyed his pen

Edited by - HOSS on 01/13/2002 21:56:18
Old 01-13-2002, 09:56 PM

CharlieO, Hoss,,
It sounds to me like the dogs have not been "gradually" introduced to this kind of enviroment, and just expected to ecept it right off, or they have been bored out of their minds during the work week. I got my dog at 8 months old and he has come from a kennel enviroment that housed two dogs per run. When I brought him home he was introduded to the house enviroment gradually and I used a vari-kennel for house training duties. I would put him in his outside kennel at half hour intervolds a few times a day and reward him for quiet good behavior. Then put him in it at much longer durations so he'd start to except this new kind of "restraint". I was also worried he'd dig his way to China if I didn't do something quick! I built a platform out of 7/16's O.S.B. board to elevate his 6*6 chainlink kennel off the ground and then worked on how to get him to stop digging the woven wire apart! I decided to "set him up" and catch him in the act! I would wait near a window I could see the kennel best and witness him in the act of doing it, then rush out of the house and humiliate and scare the livin' he(# out of him! I would also bang a riding crop on the covered roof and say no, bad dog in a very demeaning voice!!! After just a few times this seemed to get the msg. across and did the trick! I aslo built him a box in one corner and put haygrass for bedding so to keep him warmer and give him a sense of security. He's grown out of this kind of behavoir at 2.7 years old now. I also learned to give him things to keep his little mind busy, like raw beef knuck bones from the grocery store that the meat department puts out for stew making. These will keep a dog busy for hour at a time. Also Wal-Mart sells the biggest raw hide bones you've ever seen!!! You also might want to consider introducing the E~collar/bark collar to help correct these destructive habits once he knows this is not eceptable behavior including excessive, cronic, barking. If not nipped in the bud right now, you will have some serious enemies in your neighborhood!

Edited by - Lady Grouse Hunter on 01/13/2002 23:04:34
Old 01-13-2002, 11:09 PM

Lady Grouse Hunter thanks for the information i have been doing that for a few days and it seems to be working some.it is good to see you again.

Old 01-14-2002, 05:34 PM

CharlieO you've got yourself some additional training now. It's enough to have to teach them "whoa" and "heel". You've got to teach him this behavior is not acceptable just like you would teach him "here".
You will have to figure out what punishment works best. GSP's don't require the strong hand that English Pointers do as you well know. My girl likes to tip over the water bowl when she's upset. If she sees me and I don't let her out of the pen immediatly she gets mad and takes it out on the waterbowl. I couldn't have that behavior because I work 12 hr.shift. I couldn't leave and let her turn over the water and be without water for 13-14 hrs.
I like to use the waterhose to discourage unwanted pen behavior i.e. digging, barking, destroying the fence/gate. The trick with my current GSP was she would see/smell me coming with the hose and stop misbehaving. Well you can't blast them when thier not misbehaving or they won't get it, right? So I rigged the waterhose to the pen with it aimed at the waterbowl. This way I could sneak to the spigot when she started and blammo and then holler "NO". This should work for you. You may have to set up the hose outside the pen to avoid the dog chewing the hose.
Just some ideas. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:17 PM

ShorHair, thanks for the advice. Since it is Winter, I have all my outside water hoses still put away. But, today I put him in the kennel, and tried staying outside where the dog knew I was still outside. That seemed to do a little better. So, I think I'll try that for awhile for longer periods of time everyday for as long as he is responding. What do you think of the electronic training collars? Do you get e-mail notifications? I use to <when the box was checked for it> but now I'm not receiving the e-mails anymore. I asked the techs about it, but can't seem to get an answer from them either. I was wondering if it is just me or the response buttons aren't working.