Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Thinkin about  gettin a bird dog... >

Thinkin about gettin a bird dog...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Thinkin about gettin a bird dog...

Old 09-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Thinkin about gettin a bird dog...

I am looking to get a pup and try and train him to retrive dove.. I aint sure about it yet but what do yall recomend.. What age do you usually start training them? Thanks for any input
Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 PM

Default RE: Thinkin about gettin a bird dog...

wow this is a consequence.. i was just going to post and ask the same exact question... im lookin for the same thing..
Old 09-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

If you just going to do dove hunting, a retriever of some sort like a goldie (from hunting lines), labs, chessie, etc.

At what age, simple stuff immediately like housebreaking, kennel, name and 'No'.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree with Mite. I'll add, training starts right a way. Sit, stay, heel, & here should be introduced. Keep training sessions small, 15 minutes or a few reps. The pups need a break. Try to talk with a trainer in your area. I've found most are willing to help with information. They should be able to give you a timeline of training. Good luck...
Old 09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

I almost foregot. Mite gave some good retievers but there is one missing. The Boykin is a great little dog. I believe that it is a cross between a Chessie and Cocker. Lots of energy, strong hunters. I saw them on T.V. LOL @ a #40 dog retrieving geese!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:47 AM

Get yourself a field bred English Cocker Spaniel (not the hairy, droopy eared show dog). Great house pet, smalland loves to retrieve. Dove is just one of the game birds they love to retrieve.

Here is a picture of my little "pocket rocket"

Old 09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Im telling you right now Labs are the best!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM

You have to think about what you want your dog to do, if you just want a retrieving dog, get a lab, you're not going to find a better retriver. If you are looking at getting a pointing or flushing dog that will retrieve you need to do some homework. Look into GSP, Brittany, Some lines of setters, or springer spaniels.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks for everyones help.. I want a dog that will retrive dove that i down..But if i get a bird and it lands in thick stuff will a lab be able to sense it or does it have to see where it lands to get it..
Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM

If you want a pure retreiver, you will not beat a lab. I have a freind who has a 2 year old lab that will blind retrieve a rock out of his garden. If you spend the time to train them right you can't beat them. Labs still have good noses, they might not be quite as good as some dogs, but they will definately go into the thick stuff and do a blind retrieve. It sounds to me like you want a lab.

Quick Reply: Thinkin about gettin a bird dog...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.