Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Bird Dogs and Retrievers >

Bird Dogs and Retrievers

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bird Dogs and Retrievers

Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bird Dogs and Retrievers

My dog has brown eyebrows. Alot of setters have brown eyebrows. Gordon setters have brown eyebrows. Actually, Laverack interbred his dogs to gordons, hence brown eyebrows.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 AM

I still stand behind my original statement....

There are labs out there that hunt the snot out of upland birds and there are pointers that couldn't find a bird on a thanksgiving table.

I love dogs and also am interested in their origins but the potential of the breed is not realized in every pup that is for sure. Case in point, this comingweekend NH's season opens. There will be a guy out in the fileds who WILL limit out on pheasant and grouse hunting behind a pointing German Shepherd! That dog retrieves to hand with the softest mouth I have ever seen. Now German Shepherds are not bred to be "hunters", but you can't deny this particular dog is a hunter.

I believe strongly they are alljust "dogs" when you bring them home, they get the title of "Hunting Dog" by what they do in the field....
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Does anyone know why Daleh is so angry??
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

True. If you step back and think about it, all dogs descended from predators so it would seem that most dogs regardless of breed have a certain degree of hunt and retrieve in them (I don't know about some of the tiny lapdogs, but I'm sure they have it in them somewhere or another).

I dont know how true it is, but I've read that if you took all dogs and turned them loose in the wild and let nature take its course, ina matter of about 10 generations all the dogs in the colder climates would soon look like wolves and coyotes and the dogs in the warmer climates would look like dingos and those wild African dogs. Anything not able to survive would be culled out by natural selection very quickly......survival of the fittest. It's hard for me to believe that could occur in 10 generations, but it makes sense that over the course of time it would occur.