Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Neighbor Shooting at My Dog >

Neighbor Shooting at My Dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Neighbor Shooting at My Dog

Old 11-07-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Neighbor Shooting at My Dog

I think my upstairs neighbor is shooting at my dog with a BB gun. Several times I've been watching my dog out back when she jumps like she's been stung. For some reason, I sort of had it in the back of my mind that, if I didn't know better, someone was popping her with a BB gun.

Looks like my instinct might have been right. So today I caught this guy shooting at ducks right in front of my back porch. He knows I saw him. I'm just not sure what to do. I can't prove that the bastard is doing anything. Without proof, I don't think it will do any good to talk to him, the cops, or the apartment management.

Any suggestions?

SL

Edited by - Solid Liver on 11/08/2002 09:04:04
Old 11-07-2002, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Neighbor Shooting at My Dog

BB's usually don't hurt the dog, but they can be harmful if they hit in the right spot (an eye for example). Rarely do they penetrate deeper than the skin. BB's also show up very well on an x-ray. If you want to know whether or not your dog has been shot, take him to your vet for an x-ray (cost $25-$75). Of coarse if you do find out he has been shot, proving who did it in the first place is a whole different matter.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:22 AM

I'ld be pee-o'd if a kid shot my dog while it was in my yard.

We used to shoot dogs that came into our yard with a red ryder type bb gun. It's not quite powerful enough to penetrate through skin but stings. If it were a powerfull bb gun, whatch out. Pellets or bb's can go deep. Heck, some guns could probably kill if shot into the vitals. Might be a good idea to take the dog to get x-rayed in the case of a high powered gun. You might be surprized at what you find.

Nic
Old 11-08-2002, 05:36 AM

if the BB goes into the dog you should be able to see the wound without Xray. just run your hands down the dogs body.if you find the wound then get the Xray.
I would let my dog out and then watch the kid.if he shoots my dog,him if old enough would take a case of beat a$$.if not oldenough his parents would hear from the cops.

parents that let kids out with the BB or air gun alone should be held responsible legally.in Fla. you have to have an adult in your presents to be legal.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:03 AM

I don't think any of the BBs have penetrated her skin, but I noticed some welts once or twice. I didn't put it all together because she's always got bumps and scrapes from thrashing through the field. I'll give her a really close look and see if I can feel anything and then maybe take an x-ray.

BB guns are illegal in my town, so he's breaking the law just by having it. There are other animal cruelty laws and harming others' domestic animals laws. (All this stuff is right on our town's website believe it or not.) So if I can prove it, he's in for at least a couple thousand in fines.

The problem is just proving it.

By the way, this is not a kid. This guy is in his twenties.

SL
Old 11-08-2002, 10:06 AM

This is a good question. I am a police officer and an avide hunter. I would try to keep an eye on the guy. Take a picture or use a camcorder to watch him. I would contact the police anyway. They may have some options in your area and if they go talk to the guy if might scare him enough to stop.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:18 AM

Dear SL; My approach would be different than the ones previously recommended. If I suspected a neighbor was shooting at one of my dogs, I would visit him and ask if he had a BB gun and if the dogs caused any problems. The truth may just come out. If not, I would let him know about animal cruelty laws and that you suspect someone is shooting your dog and if it continues you will prosecute. You may never catch this guy and the point is to get him to stop before your dog gets hurt. In addition many acts of poisoning and shootings are the result of animals barking, roaming, or causing nuisance to the neighbors. Most of these violators think their actions are justified. If your dog is causing a nuisance, you must do your part in providing a solution and let your neighbors know that you are doing your part and to come to you if your dog is being a nuisance. Proving these cases in almost impossible. In a recent case of intentional antifreeze poisoning the animals owner brought in a bowl of dog food laced with antifreeze but police could not prosecute since she had removed the only evidence. Her dog survived the incident and I instructed her ,like you, to talk with all of her neighbors. The poisonings stopped.
Take your dog to your vet and have him checked out, spend the money on Xrays, and get your neighbors together or talk with them all individually before the problem escalates.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:03 AM

Solid Liver,
EVCVET has a point make sure YOUR DOG is not causing the problem. Then talk to the Neighbor clean out the area you keep your dog so you know there are no bb's in there then If you suspect it continues contact the POLICE. If that doesn't scare the punk then try putting something over the kennel so he can't shoot thru. Personally I'd want to Beat him & his Parents to a bloody pulp but then I'd end up in Jail, & that wouldn't be good
I hope you can stop the punk

There is NO such thing as a bad day HUNTING
Good Luck & Good Hunting
Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 06:51 PM

If I had someone takeing shots at my dog,s I would be taking action real quick because in the end the owner will end up paying the vet bill not the shooter if you known what I mean. Like the police officer said catch him in the act"video"etc but don,t confront him by yourself and get in trouble . If the local Police are involved hopefully they will do a back ground check to see if this guy has a record "He may be banned for possesion of firearms" Or a previous record for " Cruelty To Animal,s" .In a case like this something should be done "BB,S Bounce" or he may get real stupid and start shooting at kid,s ." Plus this also give,s us legal gun owners a real baaaaad rep"
Old 11-25-2002, 04:02 PM

I am sooo mad to hear that. My German shepard was shot by our neigboors several years ago. We found later that one was lodged in her leg (no big deal) but another was lodged against the trocanter of her hip (painful but not life threatinging) And a third against her spine. I almost had to put her down. It was a few years old, but had moved and was pinching a nerve. She couldn't get out of her bed for 2 weeks she just peed on herself, and I had to feed her where she was. That was when she was 5, she is now nine and fine. but it was touch and go for a little while.
I would let your landlord know exactly what is going on, I would also call the police and file a compalint. Ask them to talk to him, to assess the situatiion. It may have more impact than you doing it. If it does not stop. I would start calling the landlord or police every time you see it happen.

It sounds like it is a kid doing it. If so complain to his parents. I would check you dog for bb's also.

Good luck I hope it stops.

Quick Reply: Neighbor Shooting at My Dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.