Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Perfect dog

Old 09-01-2006, 04:54 AM

Default RE: Perfect dog

It will prob be next spring/summer. The reason I am looking at the griff is that my wife has a slight allergy to shedding dogs. The griff looked to be the best of both worlds. How is the pudelpointer when it comes to shedding. I see all the breeds that they mix with poodles these days because of the hypoallergenic characteristic. The pudelpointer is new to me though. any inf would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:43 AM

The puddlepointer isn't actually a new dog. I did a google search on them a few weeks back out of curiosity and found out that they have been around for well over a 100 years. They originally came from Germany. You can find a great deal of information and breeders by doing a search.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

porknbeans is right. It's a breed that can be traced back to the 1800's. The combination has nothing to do with hypoallergenic concerns, but an objective to create a truly versatile hunting dog. If you are familiar with a Deutsche Drahthaar (another breed you should look at), the pudelpointer actually dates this race and was used in combination with a few other breeds to come up with the original dd.

I would say the only weakness of the pudelpointer as a whole is the inconsistence in their coat qualities. You can find one that has a griffon like coat and another that has a coat consistent with a shorthaired. My pup has very good coat conformity so far, and I have not seen much shedding at all. There is a little bit in his kennel, but no more than that.

As far as their drive for all facets you would be looking for in a versatile hunting dog (upland birds, waterfowl, furred game, blood tracking, etc...); it would be very easy for you to do worse than a pp. I do alot of snowshoe hare hunting along with upland game, waterfowl and big game here, so I really wanted a dog that would have a fur drive along with a drive for birds. The only other dog I looked at was the DD, in fact I had my order in on one and the breeder lost two litters from two different bitches. I took that as a sign and ended up hooking up with cedarwoods. Just last week, my pup pointed his first snowshoe during a walk in the woods, so I'm pretty happy.

If your game is birds only, I would say a griff would do the job very well. From what I've seen, very easy to train dogs that don't require a lot of pressure.

You might want to start a new post and put down exactly what you are looking for. There are a lot of people on this board that know much more than I do about dog breeds and could probably point you in the right direction. If you do end up thinking the griff is the right dog, send me a pm and I can probably help you out.

Good luck,
Old 09-01-2006, 04:41 PM

so what your saying mustad a puddlepointer is a pretty versatile dog so probabale I'd change mine perfect dog to a puddlepointer thank you for contributing to the thread.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Bob Farris: http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/

There are certainly some excellent kennels out there for pudelpointers but I don't think you'll find one that is better than Bob's. Great looking dog, Mustard.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Now thats a nice pup
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM

I mean no offense to anyone with this, but of all the breeds that I thought I would see listed.... the "Puddlepointer" may have been the last dog I was expecting! I have only seen one ever in the field and it was marginal at best, but that in no way is a knock on the breed. The listing did have me learn a bit about them and I thought their origins were interesting... a poodle and a Pointer mix. I am a big fan of versatile dogs.. so this cool to learn.

In MY humble opinion, among Flushers the Springer Spaniel has been my Perfect Dog. Among Pointing dogs, I really love the GSP's and Setter's.. which of these is perfect... it would really have to depend on the actual dog. I think having a few dogs that are unique is "Perfect"!

HISTORY OF THE BREED
The Pudelpointer breed dates back to 1881!
As might be gathered from the name, it's origins are in the English pointer and the standard poodle, a German rather than a French breed, known in its native land as the Pudel. It was a dog, which served many purposes including work as a retriever.
The beginnings of the breed go back to around 1881 when a Pudel bitch was bred to an English pointer, Tell, owned by Kaiser Frederick III. From that crossing came the first of the line, dogs which it was hoped would have the fire and drive of the pointer, the devotion to master and trainability of the Pudel. There were 15 original Pudel crosses and a total of 87 pointer crosses. Some of the back crosses to pointers became necessary because of depletion of breeding stock. Such crosses were made only with the approval of a special elected breeding committee.
The first specimen to arrive on this continent was Cati vom Waldorf, imported in 1956 by Sigbot Winterhelt and H. D. Hume. Since then many other specimens have been brought in, and a careful breeding program followed to maintain the desirable qualities of the breed and control production in North America. Culling has been severe.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I asked a guy one time what kind of dog he had (neighbor who's dog was real mean and ugly). He said, "He's half German Shepherd, Half Wolf, and Half Canine". I said, "You got yourself a dog and a half there!" True story.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I had the perfect dog, a Border collie and yellow lab mix. Wonderfully smart, fast and very well disciplined. She would hunt everything from coons to squirrels to ducks!! Sadly, she died a couple of years ago and i have yet to find a suitable replacement.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

I had the perfect dog, a Border collie and yellow lab mix. Wonderfully smart, fast and very well disciplined. She would hunt everything from coons to squirrels to ducks!! Sadly, she died a couple of years ago and i have yet to find a suitable replacement.
nothing can replace a good hunting partener

Quick Reply: Perfect dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.