Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Gun Shy

Old 08-13-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Gun Shy

My spring spaniel absolutely lives to chase birds around my house. The problem is if she hears a gun go off she will run to the next area code and hide under the truck. She is also afraid of thunder and anything else that is loud.I have taken her dove hunting before but she cowered under the truck shaking the whole time scared to death. She is a companion first and hunting dog second or not at all LOL. I would love to get her over her fear but I am really not sure how to do it. What do you guys reccomend???
Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gun Shy

Slow down. If you noticed that's he gunshy, don't put a gun near him. Let him chase and be around birds for awhile. Then introduce the gun slowly. Very slowly. Start with something with less than the sound of a cap gun. Then progress to louder sounds.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 AM

Hopefully Jimmy from this board will chime in, as he has a beautiful Springer that was also noise shy, still is for most noises, but is over it for guns now.

Having a bit of experience with Springers I will tell you that it is probably best to intro your dog to birds and "hunting" without the guns first. Get your dog so excited to be in the field with you that she does not notice anything else. Then, when you have her really excited and happy, have a partner or friend 100 yards away fire a 20 gauge or22 short in the other direction of you,at that point you really need to take the excitement level up a notch and associate that sound with excitement and fun. Your dog should not do much more than notice the shot. If she cowers and cringes even though you were playing and had her excited, you may want to seek a professionals help. If she takes it in stride and trusts you that the sound is ok, slowly workthe "shooter" closer, maybe 75 or 80 yards. Same deal, shot in other direction, you get her even more excited, praise and maybe even give hera treat. If she is still ok,she can acknowledge the shot and maybe jump a little, but if she cowers andcringes for any period of time.... either start over (from farther away)or end it.

The key here is that your Springer needs to build confidence and understand what it is you want from her. Taking here to a dove field is not a good idea right now, she isa flusher by breeding. Finding and flushing game is her thing. A few purchased chukars or quail, placed in such a way that she scents them and flushes them.... then let her know just how happy that makes you andget her excited to do it over and over again. Once she gets that she is a "hunter" a shot fired over her to harvest a bird, will not bother her.It will become part of the entire experience. Right nowto her a shot is just a loud noise. Teach her what her noseis for first,slowly introduce her to the gun, then combine the 2 over her and she'll get it. Take it slow. They are VERY smart dogs(usually!) and if you lay it out for themthey will understand. Think of it as introducing achild to it.... and you'll be on the right track.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:45 AM

The quail are gonna be a best option, exspecially with the freak of noises, the chuckars want to run pretty frequently, and this situation is not good, the pigeons on a dog thats in these shoes, is also not good the wings clap when smacking together in flight, the quail are fast quick, and easily caught, the catch is exactly what you want...because this will overlay later to teh gun. Doves and dink birds to chase and fart around with, is alright but not what we are looking for, the doves scent is not as good a other game birds, exspecially when green outside, plus there is no catch. You want the dog to get excited, even when its getting birdy dont say nothing let it do its job and root the bird up...the fix I dont believe will be hard ...just time and bird consuming....you want the chase and the catch, let it parade around with the bird, keep the dog jacked up in, nad on the game.....it will work out, just time, and timing, you can phone me, and I can explain over the phone, you can do a search and see where I have posted prior fixes with gun association, I run a Jonesy's Gun Dogs , The door is open, I will help or fix. You decide, and will help you as best as I can.
859-985-2918 Thanks Jonesy
Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

MA Jay is correct about my Springer and he knows better than anyone.He was instrumental in helping me and my dog as we were introduced to bird hunting in the lastcouple years. We still have a long way to go but thanks to MA Jay, I think we have passed Basic Training.

My biggest concern was the possibility of my dog being gun-shy. He hates loud nosies close to him and will run to the other side of the house if I even lightly slam my hand on the table. He will even now avoid being close to me,if I shoot my pellet gun in the back yard. So, here I am, a rookie,with a green hunting dog that seemed to do some good things while field training but knowing if he's gun-shy, itcan definitely be a show stopper.

So, how was he handled? EXACTLY what MA Jay stated. He told me he could guarentee me my dog would not be gun-shy even thought he hates loud noises. Keeping him interested and excited in doing something he loves to do and SLOWLY introducing him to the sound of small arm gunfire off in the (far) distance was the key. I just kept telling myself..."Easy does it". You also have to understand, I was learning all this for the first time too. To this day, he will avoid my pellet gun but will not be too concerned when a .12 ga is shot over him. That's not to say he isn't startled when the shot is fired, but he now associates that sound as part ofhis (our) entire hunting experience.

Also, when MA Jay says he has a bit of experience with Springers, he's definitely telling the truth. He has a beautiful Springer that lives to hunt. She ifagreat house dog but when her time comes to get back to the field, she's all business. She is an absolute delight to watch.

Finally, take the advice given to heart. And if you have any additional questions or concerns, post away....I wish you good luck on this.......Jimmy
Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.coonriverkenells.com and click where it says "Marks Tips" or something similar. He has a good article about gunshyness.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like what Doc E posted, you need to add a n and drop a l, and it will put you there.

I also like what Jonsey posted as allowing your dog to "catch a bird" willbuild a more excited drive. Also will get your dog to sneak in allowing you a closer flush. Keep all loud noices away from your dog for a while and work on the drive more. Then slowly bring in some low noices and add from there. Good Luck
Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 PM

Any training situation, you want the dog to be in a positive mode, along with successful ending. What I recommended is exactly what I do, to associate the gun at whatever age, whatever breed. plus this is exactly how I fix a shy dog. the birds will not give the dog time later to think while it is reaching down to catch....they are excited about snatching the bird. Do what ya want, my email and phone is open, there are several posts on here about gunshy, take and go back to earlier in teh year, and you can see several ways to attempt to fix. Mine and others, Thanks Jonesy
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 AM

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/Tennessee.asp

I think you have the outline here as we all pretty much said the exact same thing. Now the "tough" part is actually taking the time with your dog and introducing birds and the excitement of hunting to her. I posted a link of quite a few bird preserves in TN (I think that is where you are from) that you can call and see if one of them will allow you to spend a few days working with your dog. Most of these guys will see you as a future customer and should allow you to work a green dog, and some may even be nice enough to help you out.

Good luck. Hunting with a good Springer is such a great expereince. They have such a sweet nature and strong desire to please, they are a joy to train compared with some of the thicker headed dogs out there!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks Guys!!!

I really appreciate the advice. I will definitely have to try some of the suggestions. I can use all the help that I can get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.