Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

RAW National's

Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RAW National's

Just got word from Colorodothat Doc & Casey have made it through round 1, and round 2. Only 2 more day's to go..!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: RAW National's

That's good news keep us posted!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We did pretty good, but not quite well enough. We needed 40 points in order to "bring home the bacon", and we ended up with 38.5 points. We were able to run the entire Test (5 series over a 5 day period)including the very last bird, so we got to play the whole game.
Running in the NAHRA Master Invitational was definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was an experience I'll never forget. Some of the finest Hunting Dogs in North America, top notch handlers, great judges and great (tough) tests.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Congratulations Doc ! Running in all five days is quite a feet in itself
and netting 38.5 points would surely put alot of us in the back seat. If they are anything like I've seen here they are sure tough and hard running. Again congratulations !
Old 05-23-2006, 08:00 AM

Hey Doc, man thats still awfully good, because the final series, is the last hooray, and so many dogs dont make it that far, it takes alot of dog.....plus handler dog trust, to go through any series. Good job!! People that are not retriever runners dont quiet know the dealings of the big dog test, they get awfully extreme, and I am happy for you and your buddy to not only qualify, but to also participate and do an excellent showing....for the 5 series, way to go Doc, glad you guys had a great time, and a good safe trip!! You got to see alot more different stuff?? Any thing that cut alot of the dogs, the test that was kinda like the judges saying ok....we are done playing, lets see what you guys got!! usually the 2-3 series. Cya ya Doc, way to go!! Jonesy
Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jonsey and all,

The Tests were great. LOTS of factors built in to them. There were45 initial entries, and at the end of the First Series (land), there were 36 dogs left.
All 36 made it through the Second (Upland) and Third (Steady to Flush) series. I'm not sure, but I think all the dogs made it through the Fourth series (Scent Trail). The Fifth series (Water)took a lot of dogs out (including us). Here is a pic of the Water Test. It's kind of numbered and the X show the Falls of the birds. (I'll post the pic and then try to explain further)

This was a Water Triple with a Blind and a Diversion bird when on Honor.

The "Line" was just to the (viewer's) Right (handler's Left)of the judges tent, where there are some cattails out in the edge of the water. The first bird was thrown from the boat (hidden behind cattails) and splashed down behind some dead cattails that the dogs had to push through going out and coming back. The second bird was also thrown from a hidden boat and lit in cattails down a narrow (partially blocked) hunk of water (very easy for the dogs to get lost on this one). The third bird was thrown and from a gunner that was hidden behind a tree. It splashed down right in plain sight (memory eraser bird). When the working dog hit land with the third bird, a fourth bird (Diversion Bird)was thrown from from Land into Water directly upshore (viewers right)from the judges tent. Then you got to run the blind. The blind is clear to the left side of the picture (actually to the left of where the picture ends). Nice open water initially, that narrowed down to a very tight channel. LOTS of dogs (including Casey)were suctioned into the water behind the cattails toward the #2 gunner station (boat). The blind was definitely the "Money Bird".

Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Casey and Doc E on how far you made it.