Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Gunshy

Old 01-02-2002, 08:49 AM

Default Gunshy

Not sure why, but my year-old pup has become gunshy. I did the capgun/training pistol thing when she was young, but not enough. She did not seem bothered until about 2 months ago. Need help in saving this dog as she is more than a hunting partner to me.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gunshy

do the capgun /training pistol again her but as she chases a bird or practices fetching start off at a distance and work your way in as she becomes more comfortable with the drill. you want to get her to tie the two things to gether the shot and the upcoming retrieve and or the bird she's going to get hold off
Old 01-04-2002, 01:28 AM

Here is a method an old country boy told about. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! It is just a joke.:

Take the dog to a pond in the winter. Take him out in a jon boat with your shotgun. Tie the dog to the boat with a 20 ft. rope. Paddle out into the pond. Shoot the gun and let the dog jump in the cold water and pull the boat to the bank.
Put the dog back in the boat and do it again. Repeat this as many times as dog can pull the boat without drowning or until the dog decides the gun ain't so bad after all.

Edited by - shorthair on 01/06/2002 08:09:08
Old 01-04-2002, 06:27 AM

My advice would be to follow Hoss's suggestion. Go back to the cap/starter pistol and use it a far distance while the pup is feeding, fetching ect. Gradually move closer a little bit at a time as long as the dog is comfortable. Stop when the dog shows signs of apprehension and back off a pace or two. A little bit at a time will work wonders.
Personally, I find shorthair's method to be barbaric! I do not consider giving the dog the option between terror of a gunshot and drowning to be "training"... I consider it more a form of animal cruelty. Shooting a shotgun near a dog that is obviously frightened of it so it tires itself out despretly trying to get away? Would you want someone to throw you in a lake if you had a fear of water until you were so exhausted that you "got over it"? I think not. This training method, and others like it (shooting a dog in the rear if it ranges too far, beating a dog with a whip until it submits, ect) should have gone out of style with the rack, the iron maiden, and other instruments of torture from the middle ages. Please don't try it. Your dog deserves better.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:05 AM

Mr. 16 Gauge,Keep your shirt on hoss! Man you Northern boys are gullable and a little too sensitive. It was a joke Bro. Besides if you've got a dog that can pull my jon boat with me in it I'd like to see him.
I would never try that method myself. I guess I had better edit my previous post so no fool actually trys it. I don't even try to teach a gun shy dog to hunt. If the dog is afraid of the gun I just get another one and try again. If the dog is afraid of the gun why force it to go against it's nature? Your dog deserves better.