Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab training

Old 03-26-2006, 03:44 AM

Default Lab training

My daughter has to move and can`t take her 1 1/2 yr. old female Lab with her so looks like ol` Dad is adopting the dog. Is it to late to train this dog for upland hunting. She did teach her to sit and play the fetch game with a ball or frisbee but has no other training. Are there different tactics with a dog this age or do you start as you would a pup. I have never trained before so I`m not looking to produce a champion just a hunting companion to share some time in the field.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:04 AM

Default RE: Lab training

A year and a half old Lab is still considered a pup by most (up to two or so). If the dog has been learning the obedience commands there is no reason why she can't start learning retriever/upland commands. Buy the book "HUNT 'EM UP" by Arnette and Hickox and have some fun this spring and summer. (Just the picture on the front of the book gives me chill bumps and hope)
Old 03-26-2006, 07:11 AM

1 1/2 is still young. You can train the dog. There are several books out there that outling training procedures. I'd recommend taking a look at a few and see if any look good to you. In the mean time I'd do a lot of yard work with the dog. Work on the basics, particularly "come" and "Sit/Stay" . If you will use the dog exclusively for waterfowling work on "heel" too, but if you think you'll be uplanding save it until the dog is hunting boldly in front of you.

Also, and this is important, Gun break the dog very carefully. When you decide which book, and training program you want to follow, follow the gun breaking chapter exactly. Maybe even go a bit slower than you think is neccesary. It's better to err on the side of caution, than to spend months training a dog that you can't hunt because it's scared of guns.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, "Hunt 'Em Up" is a dandy good book for the Upland Labrador.
But, there is more that you will need to do than just what is contained in that book.
Most of the things that an Upland Dog will be required to do are the same things that a Water Dog will also need to do (including water retrieves and handling on blind retrieves etc). So in addition to "Hunt 'Em Up", you should also get the "10 Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl.