Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How many feedings a day? >

How many feedings a day?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How many feedings a day?

Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 AM

Default How many feedings a day?

After reading someone elses post on here, I came up with a question of my own. How many times a day should you feed your dog? I only feed mine once a day. Beside the risks of bloat, are there any reasons why I shouldn't? She is a 69 lb female weimaraner around 2.5 years old.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:18 PM

Default RE: How many feedings a day?

I have always had my dogs on self feeders from about 10 weeks on. I've never had any problem with them overeating.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I keep the dogs food full all day unless I'm gonna be runing them.
Then I like to wait until they are done with the runing as with the
Irish with the big chest cavity the stomaches may flip over. Haven't
had it happen yet but I've heard of it before.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Current research shows that two feedings per day is ideal. Also, having the food and water dishes at ground level (not elevated).

Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with Doc E - My vet recommended 2 feedings a day. Now instead of 3 cups in the morning, I break it down to 2 cups AM, 1 cup PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I'm with Doc E - My vet recommended 2 feedings a day. Now instead of 3 cups in the morning, I break it down to 2 cups AM, 1 cup PM.
Good for you Also remember that it takes a dog 12 to 16 hours to fully digest a meal. So you want the larger meal to be 12 hours before the dog will beexpendingthe most calories (Large meal the night before if you are going to put in a big hunt the next day--------Or the big meal in the morning if your dog is going to be kennelled outdoors in the Winter).

Old 03-13-2006, 02:43 PM

i feed once a day unless one of the gyps is expecting or nursing then i step it up to twice a day

Old 03-13-2006, 05:55 PM

I have (maybe) been under the wrong assumption that an elevated feed station was preferrable. What is the research suggesting about serving from a lower position?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: desertdog

I have (maybe) been under the wrong assumption that an elevated feed station was preferrable. What is the research suggesting about serving from a lower position?
For quite a few years, it was thought that elevated food and water dishes were the way to go -- maybe about a year ago or so, it was found (I can't remember who did the research)(but I do know it was a well done study) anyhow, it was found that food and water dishes at ground level were MUCH better at reducing twisted gut than raised ones.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Doc-

Thanks for the info. Based on posts I've seen by you over the years, I hold your opinions and citations of studies in high regard. I'm going to try the lowered food stations.

Quick Reply: How many feedings a day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.