Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Coyote Dogs

Old 02-23-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Coyote Dogs

I live in WNY and have hunted Coyotes for a few tears now mostly with electronic calls or mouth blown calls.

More and more people around my area are starting to run coyotes with dogs though. The put a radio colar on the dogs and then try to intercept the path that the coyote and dogs are on to bag the coyote.

Never got a chance to talk to any of these people using the dogs but the other day my wife and kids were out in the yard and a coyote came running right through the yard and across the rd. About 4-5 minutes after is came a single hound right on its trail. The guy stopped his truck right in front of the house and my wife told him his dog had just come through. He left and came back about an hour later to show her the coyote he got. I was at work so did not get a chance to see but it sounds like it would be fun.

What type of dogs are used for coyotes and how would you go about trainning a dog to run coyotes?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Coyote Dogs

I watched a hunting video called Doggin Coyotes a couple of years ago in which a guy was using coyote dogs, but unlike the trailing dogs you described these dogs ran out away from the hunter a pretty good distance in an area known to have coyotes, and then the dogs ran back towards their owner once they had the coyotes attention. Every time the coyotes followed the dogs since they are so territorial, and the hunter was getting nice, close shots every time. The coyotes got so close to him a couple of times he could have killed them with sling shots! It was pretty neat to watch such well trained dogs. I didn't watch Dogging Coyotes II, but the cover says they use mountain cur dogs.

http://www.elkinc.com/VIDEOS_xdc.aspx
Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

You need to use a running bred dog like a Running Walker and you need to use a bunch of them.
Blue ticks, Redbones or any other potlicker hounds are out of the question and dont even think about a plott.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:29 PM

Well if you want to catch cyotes and hear a race,I would most definatly use running walkers. However if you just want to scare them out to shoot them you can use any open mouthed dog. I know of a few people that use greyhounds and they catch a lot of yotes, but there is not much of a race. Its pretty much over before it starts. Its all up to the hunter. If you enjoy running hounds I would prefer the the running walkers, because they have enough speed to keep up, and also enough nose to pick the track back up if they make a lose.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 AM

what do you think of using mountain Curs? From what i have read on them they are supposed to be a fast tough dog that should be able to hold its own if it ran into problems with a yote.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:31 PM

From what I have seen mountain curs are good dogs. However, as with most curs they do not have enough nose to unravel an old track. If you were to put the dog on a relatively fresh track, (1 or 2 hours old) then yes they would work.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:56 PM

I ran into a guy who was out running coyotes and I talked to him about what dogs he uses and he told me they are running walkers. I have heard of treeing walkers but never running walkers - what is the difference and would trainning the dogs to run coyotes be much different from trainning them for coon hunting?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 PM

My experience with running walker has been great, however they can be hard headed. They are harder to keep clean than a treeing walker, but you will catch more game quicker with them. A running walker is looks more like an English fox hound, and are a hell of a lot faster than a treeing walker. They typically do not make good tree dogs. Once you get adapted to the way they run, you will love them.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:36 AM

i love to go out calling for coyotes and fox and ever since I started looking into hunting yotes with dogs it is becoming more and more interesting to me. I used to love coon hunting with my buddies blue tick - that dog was great. It got injured as a pup and lost a front leg. That dog would tree every coon in the county on just three legs. I miss that and I am thinking this would be as fun if not more. I am going to have to look around for some breeders to talk to about getting a pup or maybe a started dog. If you know of any breeders around for Running Walkers let me know. i am in Western NY - Cattaraugus County.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 PM

It is very popular with some people here in my area. Everyone around here uses July hounds, From what Ive seen and heard from hunting with them, is that the Walkers and other breeds dont have the stamina to keep up with a coyote all day. The way they hunt them is to go to known "jump" spots and turn out a few dogs to jump a coyote, then try to intercept it as it crosses fields or open areas on property where they have permission to hunt, which is usually not a problem to get permission to hunt coyotes. They have to use good radio collars as the hound will easily get out of hearing.. They have had numerous large males line out ond sometimes cover 30 miles or more. They often have to go great distances to find dogs,, but they do get lots of coyotes that way, and hear some great races. It is a fun way to hunt them, if your are hunting dogs that wont run deer, which can be a problem.

Quick Reply: Coyote Dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.