Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training Help

Old 02-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Training Help

Without really seeing the dog, it is hard to say what should and can be done. That's the only reason I'd hesitate with the gun range. Actually, that's the way I let my goldie get used to gun fire. But she was hard headed enough that you could shoot a cannon over her and she wouldn't blink.

Letting the dog make the association early on is the safest way, in my opinion. Then gradually step up the sound. Aleast you have somewhat control over the environment and the noise. If you do take the dog to a gun range and it adversely effects the dog, you would be hard pressed to get the dog away fast enough.

This dog developed a shyness to gunfire andyou're suggestingtothrow the dog into the fire, so to speak. It would be a disservice to the owner if I didn't voice my reservations. So, no hard feelings. I just thought in this case it would be a mistake.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Im all with you Mite
The worst thing would be to go to a gun range, and get the dog terrified and then leave before it calms down. That would really teach the dog that gunfire is terrible and that he was lucky to get away. We want a slow and gradually approach of the noise (whether its a gun range or a cd playing with recorded gun fire). It is also important, regardless of the method used, that the training is done often. Or the scare will get recharged between sessions like with any phobia treatment.

I like the gun range method since there will be frequent gunfire at a controlled volume (with the distance) and it only requires one person.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

I will assume from prior post from other topics on different problems
That is where i got that from.