Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 trying to train dog, need suggestions >

trying to train dog, need suggestions

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

trying to train dog, need suggestions

Old 02-01-2006, 04:20 PM

Default trying to train dog, need suggestions

hello,
i am actually new to this post but to make a long story short, i have a Vizula puppy about, probably almost a year old. I have heard that these dogs are natural hunting/retrieval dogs. Everytime i mention the type of dog i have, people tell me they are great for hunting. She is a beautiful puppywho loves the outdoors already - so i think that hunting is perfect for her.My prime interest is hunting deer and turkey, but i have hunting waterfowl and hope to hunt upland birds. Basically, how do i start to train my dog to hunt with me in the field? Is it too late b/c of her age? do i need to actually take her to a trainer now? Cani do it totally myself? or can i start teaching her the basics until i get a trainer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot. Brent G
Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trying to train dog, need suggestions

You can get some books and videos to help you train your dog. It is not to late. The first thing I would do is start with basic obedience. Sit, here, heel, etc.
I would start exposing the dog to wild birds, I believe a Vizla is a pointing breed, you can have some big fun just taking the dog for walks in bird country, don't know where you are from.
Go to versatiledogs.com and do a search for training books, videos, vizla's as keywords. Lurk and read the threads in the training sections and the rest of the site. It can be an "abrasive" site, but just take it or leave it, ask questions if you want, but just remember that dogs and training seem to bring out all opinions and attitudes, but you can learn a lot from it.

You can also go to drahthaar.com and go to VDD group North America and find the vom Altmoor website, they have a good puppy training book and the Armbruster training manual, you can use these for help too.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM

One thing with Vizslas, they are not real hard go getters, so you have to be slower with them, compared to other breeds. You can do what you want, but myselfI would worry, or concetrate more on upland birds. It is very possible to have a nice bird dog. Right now I am working a pair of 4 mo, and 6 mo. old bitch, just starting them on pointing and getting out from under the feet. When te desire for he birds gets to where the dog is running the bird down and catching, or just not wanting to give up the chase, then we move on. What you have to watch is there are alot of show vizslas, and that is alot like watching water boiling, few but not many know what or how, and if you get to watch a hunter that knows what is going on, and a show dog, you will definately see a difference. Nothing against, just different games. It up to you what you want to do, the biggest thought for the day, is patience while working, the are very tempermental, and if you do not have a softer presentation, they will sour on ya, and thats it, your done, will not forgive, worst than a setter!! Thanks Jonesy
Old 02-12-2006, 07:28 PM

Did you figure out what needed to be done, or what you want to do with that viz?? Jonesy
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Yup, found it??
Old 03-16-2006, 12:26 AM

Best advice i can give is to get involved with a club, there is no substitue for experiance. Talk to people with the same breed as you, they'll have good strategies to work with your dog, and if you want a well pollished dog get on it quick the next 6 months are critical. Start with the woa command it's crucial for a pointing dog. The last thing i would be worried about right now is retreival, especially with a visla, if it shows natural instinct work with it but don't be to hard nosed with the retrieval stuff right now. I know people are going to argue that last comment so do your research and make your own decisions but if your going to have to force train him/her then you better get a wealth of knowlege behind you before you even try.