Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Wierd quirky habit

Old 01-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Wierd quirky habit

Okay folks take a look at this short video. This was taken today at a baseball park. There were NO birds in this field. What you're seeing is how she walked the entire time. She actually does this alot. I think I know the answer but want to hear some guesses. BTW, she was spayed last Thursday so this week she's onleash.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=41700&cdate=20060117&ctime= 211326

This shot was taken when I woahed her just because it looked nice
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=15588449&selected=
Old 01-18-2006, 06:56 AM

Default RE: Wierd quirky habit

Mighty Mite, I think either a: to many birds in a small area, or b: to many birds in a big area, or c: to much pressure on birds, as a pup, meaningwhoaing, or even just talking, we don't think its nothing but the dogs sometimes do.Catwalking is a long time thing to cure. Usually takes alot of hunting and fewer birds, and honestly I have better luck doing it of a horse, and a nother dog. It will make it hard to read the dog later, better be careful!!! Thanks Jonesy
Old 01-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

How about D. No birds in a small area? Actually, this is my take on what she's doing. Hunting for moving leaves to pounce on. That seems to be her favorite thing besides birds. When it's real windy, she'll just stand there like she's pointing looking for leaves blown by the wind. Alot of maple leaves on the ground from this fall in that field. I was wondering what she was doing until she pounced on one.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:53 AM

Itell you what I have just went through, pointer male, 3 yr old, very well bred. As a pup, allowed to cat walk through bird assoc. and breaking process, I have had him for 2 and a half mo., finally getting him to range a little bit, got to learn alot from this dog. Owner said, he was scared of him ranging as a pup. I told him, do what you want, but I would consider more faith in the dog. this particular problem is not bad tofix early, whew, you wait to long, it gets a little frustrating. I do my yard work in the field, some at the house, but 95% in the field, because when its used 99% of the time, its gonna be in the field. Later Mighty Mite Jonesy
Old 01-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Mite,
My pointer loves going after the leaves blowing. He does crouch down similar to what I saw on yours, but he will move quickly at the leaves. As he has gotten older (he is currently 9 months) it has started to decrease although he still loves to chase them occasionally. I joke with my wife and say that we have an average bird dog, but probably the finest leaf dog in the state. Good luck solving your problem, but I think you may see this decrease as she gets older.
James

Old 01-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

Jameswilliamiii
Same boat same quirky habit. My pup is now nine months as still loves to chase leaves. But I perhaps am reading my dog wrong. I been studying her everytime I take her out to the park. Half the field is flooded with patches of new grass. She's been doing that on the flooded part of the field. I think she'd figured out that these plovers hang out where there's water on the ground. The moment we get to the flooded part, she gets down low (because no cover) and searches for plovers.

So, now I have tofigure out whether to takeher to the ball park or not. Whether this is good for her. But she whines inside the car when we get there so I know she loves it. I don't know but my last setter loved to chase plovers and it didn't hurther hunting abilities (pointing).But she wasn't steady to wing and shot either, onlysteady to wing.