Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Years Resolutions

Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Default New Years Resolutions

What is gonna be a resolution that you guys are gonna do, for yourself, in dog training, and the dog in dog training?? I think I am gonna spend alot more time just hanging out with the dogs, after the work out. Thanks Jonesy
Old 12-29-2005, 06:47 PM

Default RE: New Years Resolutions

I plan on steadying up my Cocker and entering him in AKC senior hunt tests. I'll also work with my big brute of a Lab and see about entering him in some retriever junior hunt tests.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Casey has been invited to run in the NAHRA Master Nationals (next May in Colorado), so my resolution is to get him primed, in orderto put on a good (great?) showing.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 AM

For the dog: I will be working her on more birds, taking her to another Rick Smith training seminar and working to keep her steady on point and shot.

For me: Find a nice new or slightly used over/under 20 ga (any suggestions?), get out and exercise (even hikes in the woods) and practice my shooting (I embarass myself sometimes).
Old 01-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Annie will be force broke to retrieve by next season! I am tired of her retrieving when she feels like it! That is her NY resolution! I am going to make sure she sticks to it!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Jonsey, I am gonna work on "STEADY", Been workin for three days on just that and she is making progress. I am going to work on paitence with myself and spend time just hanging out with her.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 PM

Kevin, patience is always a virtue, remember she's still a pup, so, be willing to go a little slow, you make her drink tooooooooo much might drown her. It will show over time, keep it simple for little bit. Thanks Jonesy
Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

BirdRanger....Please listen Jonesy what is accomplished by having a 9 month old dog that is broke. She has not matured enough mentally to handle the pressure. Introducing "Whoa - Steady" what ever you want to call it is ok. But by putting to much pressure on a young dog you will create issues that are man made and undesireable.. The dog will act out in other ways if you put to much pressureon her. Let her be a pup chase birds ect..Build that desire for the bird. You can overcome alot of mistakes if she has enough desire and point. I think Jonesy will agree.This summer work on her yard work but remember she is still a pup. It takea a 2-3 years to finnish a dog maybe a little less if you have lots of birds.....Birds make a birddog. Just my little bit...Casey
Old 01-03-2006, 12:21 AM

for my dog Missy, I am going to try to not neglect her like I sometimes do. like not trimming her nails regulary. giving her more baths etc...

for me I am going to try to take her outfor walks more and get into the field a bit to get her warmed up for the next huting season.

Missy is going on 8 yrs old and I feel like she is trained and does her job in the field. She shows little interest in training but is very excited when we go hunting. I guess that is kinda her way of saying "if we aint playing for keeps we aint playing!"
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm gonna get my tooth fixed (root canal) then get my dog fixed. This year she will come when called and not hang back five feet away from me. My God, she's a stubborn one. Worse thanour goldie.

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.