Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 German Shorthaired Pointer Question >

German Shorthaired Pointer Question

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German Shorthaired Pointer Question

Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 PM

Default German Shorthaired Pointer Question

I read some where that gsp's can b trained to track and finddeer that you have shot with a bow but ran to far for you to find. If so could it be trained to be a dove dog and a deer tracking dog? And how would you go about training a dog to track a dead deer? I need a dove dog but i also do lots an lots of deer hunting and would love it if my dog could dove hunt an track my deer if i cant find them.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Default RE: German Shorthaired Pointer Question

Hard to make a bird dog a dove dog, scent is not that strong on dove, think about a retriever, i know several guys that have done that, I also taught his to find sheds, Thanks Jonesy
Old 12-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Sure yoy can make them track. They are bred to do it.

Mybrother has had SHGP for 30 years and every one of them has been agood tracker dog. Not like bloodhounds or schweissdogs but any lengths of a track if not older than a day or two. Being a breed that goes for the throat it is also good for letting loose ( if you hear the deer leave whwn you get close). They will take the deer if they can or drive it for a few minutes whichmay give you a possible chance to shoot. We often use them for unwounded game as well and they will drive any animal they come across. Hares, roe deer the occasional moose or wild boars.

The dog will point birds tooand does a steady job at retrieving wet or dry.

They are however very intensive animals and require a great deal of time to feel good. Or else they may be all over the place.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Thats awesome 3Ddepression, Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:06 AM

The Shorthairs in Germany are bred to do this. They are a versatile breed. They are bred to Point Game, retrieve it (land & Water), track it furred and feathered, track and kill varmints and hunt big game Boar, deer, stag.. I dont think the Kurzhaar (shorthair) http://www.nadkc.org/website has much up yet but you can read about what they can do on the Drahthaar site. www.vdd-gna.org The Shorthaitrs were bred to do the same thing. you can get a book from this site also. They use Dacshunds but you can use almost any dog that hs a good nose. http://www.born-to-track.com/
Good Luck
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Impulse,

It's rather easy to have a retriever, tracker, as well as a pointing dog all in one. The NADKC site has plenty of information for the breed. My site has plenty of info for the DK as well. If you have any questions, I will help as much as possible.

The possibilities are endless with a well bred dog! IT just requires dedication!

Phil
REO