Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

NEW DOG

Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM

Default NEW DOG

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING FOR A NEW DOG. I HUNT DUCKS PHEASANT, QUAIL, DOVE. ANYIDEAS ON A DOG THAT CAN DO ALL OF THAT. I WOULD LIKE TO GET A WEIM, I THINK THEY ARE A BEAUTIUL DOG AND THEY HAVE GREAT INSTINCT. OR DO I DO A LAB I DON'T KNOW.. HELP
Old 12-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NEW DOG

Since you mention ducks, I would go with a lab.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:53 AM

I would think that because of the duck you would tend to lean towards a retriever. However, there are more than labrador retrievers out there to choose from.The Chesapeake Bay Retriever orFlat-Coated Retriever might be options. I've also heard of people using Griffons or Deutsche Drahthaar as duck dogs (can't tell you with what kind of success). Good luck.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM

can labs do it all. i like their short hair. alot of stickers in oklahoma and less shedding
Old 12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

You can find a pointing Lab that does both upland game and waterfowl. I'm not sure if it is something that is in the genes (i.e. you can find a breeder that has pointing labs) or if it's by chance that you happen upon one.

Also, you can work with a lab or even chessie (non-pointing) long enough that they almost simulate a point. I know of a chessie near me that the owner spent so much time training the dog not to flush that it essentially points now.

I would also spend some time looking at the versatile breeds. porknbeans mentions griffons and dd's. definately good options.

I went through the exact process you are going through about 4 months ago with the only exception being I was also looking for a dog that could track a wounded big game animal. I opted to go with a dd. Can't tell you first hand how good he will be in either upland game or waterfowl hunting, but I have heard nothing but fantastic feedback on both fronts. Plus my son saw a picture and said "that's the doggie I want"... pretty tough to argue that. He will be born the first week of jan.

Good luck in your search. There is an abundance of information around and a ton of people that know a lot (especially on this board).
Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: NAVYHUNTER1

can labs do it all.
They excell on the water and also make a good upland dog. I use mine for ducks, grouse, and pheasants.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:19 AM

Labs can be excellent upland hunters. They are a flushing breed vs a pointer. I know of several people that own them and use them on pheasant and waterfowl. A pointing lab is a regular lab in which the pointing instinct trait has been enhanced through breeding. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:05 PM

how do you know what kind of pup you are getting? how do you tell the diference between a pointing lab and a reg lab. I also heard that chocolate lab are bad news?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

This will be my first hunting dog, so I can't share too much with you yet. However this is not my first dog overall. I have had two others, more guard and herding dogs, and have trained three others for my Father in Law.

Generally, if you've selected a good breed and a good breeder, you shouldn't have a problem. A lot more is up to you as the master. If you spend time with the dog, connect with him, and provide him with the right environment, you can get him to do most anything.

I'll let the experts chime in as to whether that's applicable to hunting breeds as well.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Mustad is correct. Make sure of the lineage of your dog regardless of breed. You can find out a great deal from hunting organizations, breed clubs and the AKC regarding lineage. Generally you get what you pay for. Since this is your first dog and you don't need to have him tomorrow, take your time and do your research. This will be good practice for when you start training. Don't be in a hurry for everything on that either.

With respect to training, I heard of some advice that I try to follow. Don't expect more from your dog than you're willing to put into working with him. Take your time, spend time and be consistant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.