Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic >

GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic

Old 12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: GSP not listening (teenager?)

Sounds to me he is being like a typical dog, especially for a male. However, I had a shorthair female that was a great hunter until she was about 3 yrs old then she completely quit listening to me. She would wonder off when hunting and show up at the truck. She just wasn't the same so a took her to the vet and her uterus was swollen to about 4 times it's normal size, so we had her spayed. She never did return to her old self which really frustrated me. I ended up giving her to my vet who absolutely loved her. She too experienced the same problems though
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Default RE: GSP not listening (teenager?)

I have a female who is now 1 1/2. She did awesome this fall, very birdy full of energy and right on the ball. I said when I got her I was not going to use an electric collar, after a few escapes I ate my words and got one. She would bolt and I was so worried she was going to get hit by a car or get lost and freeze. Anyhow after working with her pretty much every weekend in the summer at camp and a few nights during the week she doesnt even really need it. I can take her in the woods put her on heel and walk right past other hunters with there dogs yanking at the leash. I believe cosistancey in training and a damn good dog is why I have what I do today. The electric collar really helped enforce I am in charge even if there is not leash. I had to use it a few times in the field when a bird flushed and got away, maggie didnt want to let ANY get awayl. Good luck to ya, very good looking dog!