Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training Books

Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Training Books

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any good books about dog training. I'm talking basic training and some hunting, too. I plan on getting a dog in the next year or so, and I'd liked to have some kind of idea of what I'm doing. Any recommendations?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 AM

Default RE: Training Books

Here is a e-mail of super all breed gun dog trainer, I've trained and delt with dogs for almost 20 years with him. It is Maurice Lindley, runs and operates Lindley Kennel. Taught me alot of what I know. Maurice cannot hear, but the man can fix and makea dog. Email is the easiest way to contact him. The Kennel phone is 864-243-3583, ask for Bobbie this is his brother, tell him Jonesy told you to contact them. The e-mail for direct to Maurice is [email protected]. Maurice has a great book that is very simple, and keeps everything blk/wht to the dog. Maurice will take care of you. Thanks Dave Jones Jonesy's Gun Dogs Berea, Kentucky 859-985-2918
Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 AM

The most common and popular book that you will find is by Wolters called "Gun Dog". Although Wolters book is the old stand by,I wouldnot read it in a literal sense. His book is based on what a dog should be able to do by a certain point in a dogs life. I've seen first hand several people who have been overly hard on their dogs because the dog couldn't do what Wolters said it shouldbe doing at acertain age. Each dog is different and so is it's development. Be patient! Some dogs mature faster than others, even within the same breed. Be patient with your dog for at a minimum the first year before you raise your expectations to the level of "a finished gun dog".

Here is a really good book that I read that also helped me with my dog for it's first year.

"How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" by Joan Bailey

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6A8B0IcBcx&isbn=0963012 738&itm=1

If I could make a recommendation, tryTheRick Smith method for your dog. It incorporates a soft hand for training in a logical and easy to follow process. I utilize it to train my dog. Rick's methods build off of his dads (Delmar) and he offers seminars all over the country to help you in better understanding his approach. Delmar Smith has a book that can be found at Barnes and Noble. Rick is in the process of writing one now and it should be out within the next year. Here is a link to his website for information on Ricks videos/DVD's and seminar schedule.

http://www.ricksmithseminars.com/

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Good call porknbeans, also Dave Walker has a new book out, the biggest thing is what ever you follow for training method, stick with it. No matter what your buddy's say, what you start the dog with, stick with, then there's no later confusion. www.davewalkerdogs.com he also has a video called meat on the table, shows it while doing it, you see the results. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: minnesotahunter
I plan on getting a dog in the next year or so,
What kind of dog?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Well, either a lab or a golden retreiver. Haven't quite made up our mind.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:30 AM

I don't know a great deal about the man, but Tom Dokken is a trainer in your neck of the woods who I believe has training information either in print or on DVD/video. I know that he does a great deal of work with retrievers, but not much about his techniques.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:35 AM

I'm sorry, I thought that you were talking about bird dogs , not retrievers, Here's an excellent web site some of my friends in wisconsin set up, www.working-retriever.com it has several different links to see articles, all sorts of info to get into, forums, stud dogs, dogs for sale, man options are unlimited for what you can get into. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

First get Jackie Merten's, "Sound Beginnings".
For an exceptional HUNTING dog, go with, "The 10 Minute Retriever", bu John and Amy Dahl.
If you want to get to the the ultimate level (so you can also do Hunt Tests), get the "Smartwork" series of books by Evan Graham.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Mark one for Doc, good call, there is alot of retriever trainers in minn. you could probably throw for them to watchthe dogs work. Most of the trainers are pretty good, and always remember "a good dog trainer is not afraid to share the info" we've got nothing to hide. Jonesy