Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Llewellin Setter pups

Old 11-02-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Llewellin Setter pups

FDSB reg. Llewellin English setters. Competition parents from hunting home. Exceptional nose, conformation, and temperament. Close working dogs for the walking hunter. Great kids pets, beautiful high tails. Photos and pedigrees available on line. WInd'em and Bondhu lines. Llewellins are like potato chips, ya can't have just one! Shipping available, asking $600.
Mare Reardanz
Guns 'n Noses Kennel
Blackstone, Illinois
815.674.5392 cell

Old 11-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Llewellin Setter pups

I already have a Llewellin with heavy Wind'em and Bondu lines also. From Ed K. at Kimbu kennels. Does Wind'em lines tend towards close working?Seemsalot of dogs with Bondu lines are winning field trails. Hank was King Bondu?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kinds of genetic tests are normally done on Llewellins?

On Labs, it's OFA (or PENN hip) on Hips, CERF on Eyes and OFA on Elbows is becoming much more common as well.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:30 AM

Yup, Hank was Bondhu dog. We have had the best luck with the Bondhu lines. I imagine that is why they are so popular in the field. Gary Wente has the TOP Llewellin in the Nation at the moment. His female, Teasel Wind'em is at her peak in the field. The close working abilities of these dogs make them a must for the walking hunters like us.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Doc E
I'm not a breeder but I know testing is done on the hips and alot of breeders are testing elbows. A few are testing eyes. I find most Llewellin breeders to be very professional and passionate about the breed. Pups usually come with all vacinations, dew claws removed, etc. They also have guarantees (however much that helps) against genetic defects. My pup came with a two year guarantee. In order to register them, the parents must be DNA tested.

jreardanz

I heard about Gary Wente's Wind'em Teasel on the NLGD site. He was awarded a CH. But is the CH recognized by AF like Keith Hickem's Tanner?

I was also playing around with the idea of breeding this bitch I got. I'm undecided. Prolly not going to unless either a professional trainer sees something in her or a veteran trialer. Vet already says I should. Not many Llewellins here (only 3 breeders in the western states). Plus, I don't know the first thing about finding the right stud.

Anyway, I ran the dog today. I meet up with two people and they were both impressed. One was a couple without a dog and just watching her said, "I want a dog like that." The other was a guy with two goldies I met at the end of the day. One goldie was2yrs oldand wanted to play with my pup and the other was only walking down the road. My pup wanted to hunt. Ignored the goldie. Constantly ran into the blackberry thicket on both sides of the road. The guy's comment was, "Wow, your pup is a hunting machine." I came home smiling

It's these comments that make me rethink of breeding her LOL.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:56 AM

If the vet said your dog was breeding sound, and she displays the hunting characteristics you like, go for it! That's right, we Llewellin breeders are passionate about the breed and keeping it as pure as possible I believe it is because of responsible breeders that the breed hasn't gone the way of some Goldens, Rotts and German shepards. One always strives to breed the best to the best and hope for the best.. I am DELIGHTED to hear you checked out the NLGDC! We are members and great friends with most of those guys. Talk about people that LOVE their dogs! Chat with any of the officers in that club and I am sure they can steer you on to a suitable stud. THere is nothing like having an "outsider" compliment you on your dog! By the way, send that woman my way if she needs a great pup! LOL
Mare
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Typical Buck

I did join NLDGC. They gave me a nice hat. And I lost it on the first day hunting.