Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP

Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Default GSP

How would I convice my parents to get a GSP. I know they can be high strong, but I really want one. I also plan on taking it hunting. What should I say to my parents? I know you should have a rather big yard for a GSP. I have that, and it has trees so she can look at the birds. What should I tell my parents?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: GSP

How old are you? A puppy is a big responsibility, feeding, cleaning, taking for a run, etc. If you think you can handle it, then I would just show a picture of a GSP puppy or if you have a friend that has one borrow it. That's usually all it takes.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:03 PM

My kids talked me into a GSP. We got her as a puppy and yes, for the first year and a hlf she was high strung (that's an understatement) and I nearly gave her away a couple of times. But then she settled down and is a great family friend. She loves to hunt, but gets almost as excited when it is time for a walk. If you want one, you have to be ready to work your tail off for those first couple of years when they have boundless energy. After that they are great!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I think it depends on the parents and the bloodlines. My first GSP (got him in 7th grade) has more of a field trial bloodline and has always been high strung and somewhat of a trouble maker. Great great birddog and pet though. My second GSP I got the spring/summer before I went off to college. He has very strong german bloodlines (grandparents were straight from germany) but both his mother and father were very laid back. Matter of fact, the breeders (owned the female) told us that the sire to the litter was a big couch potatoe, literally, and very calm inside the house.The 2nd dog definitely took after the sire as he is one of the most laid back and calm GSP's that I've seen. He only gets excited for4 things; when I come home, when it's feeding time, when it's time for his run, and when he sees the shotguns being loaded in the truck. Despite their differences they are both wonderful dogs and I don't plan on owning a different breed in my lifetime.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:18 AM

Some GSPs are very hyper, some are really laid back, most settle down about two years of age. I would suggest you look to NAVHDA breeders and question them about their dogs. Ask around, find a breeder who breeds calmer dogs. Still, expect a pup to do puppy stuff, and if you cannot live with that, don't get a dog.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:56 PM

I'm going into 10th grade, so I think I can handle a puppy. I know how highstrung they can be, but I'm going to tell my parents that if I dont run it like I should, they can get rid of it. I just bought a book on GSPs, and I showed my mom the picture of a puppy chewing on a shoe, and she melted.

Also the breeder I'm interested in can tell if the dog will be highstrung or relaxed. So I'll just ask her to pick out a relaxed one.

I also have a 9 year old lab.

The breeder I'm interested in is Shomberg. www.shomberggsp.com
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Good for you! I got my first hunting dog around the same age. It was an english setter and man could she hunt. When I took her for her daily run, she would ignore every other dog and person if was chasing any kind of bird. I hope you get the dog you wanted.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:22 AM

bwalt,

I don't want to discourage you, but you do realize that those are show dogs not field dogs right? They do not have the pedigrees listed so I could not see what the mother lines were for these dogs, but the only dog that actually looked like she was pointing was Sadie. If you are interested in both show and field dogs (the dual gsp) there are some kennels out there that produce both. Ruggerheim in New Mexico comes to mind.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:33 AM

My friend has a GSP from them that is strictly a pet. It's not used for show or field trials. Although they do take it duck hunting (early in the season, when it's not too cold), they also let it point birds, and they shoot them with pellet guns.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 PM

If all you are looking for is a pet then I wouldn't get a GSP. They have HUGE amounts of energy and unless you have time to spend with them, that energy tends to turn towards negative behavior - chewing things up come to mind.

If you are looking for a hunting companion it's a great breed for that, but I would consider another breeder as the one you listed looks like they are bred for show dogs. Of course they will have natural instinct because of the breed, but I'd look at a breeder that has been breeding their GSP's because of their hunting skills.

My GSP is HIGH energy. That boy is go, go, go. I'd really take that into consideration if I were mostly looking for a pet rather than full time hunting companion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.