Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

NEW TO TRAINING HELP

Old 05-30-2005, 08:07 PM

Default NEW TO TRAINING HELP

Hey Everyone,
I've been working quite a bit with Drake my Lab Pup who just turned 3 Months. He is doing good, and i can throw the tennis ball, or pigeon up to 10-15 yards and he retrieves it very well...but its when he gets about 2 feet from me the problem occurs. When i reach to take the ball or bird he thinks it is a game to play with me and run about 2 feet away hoping i will run after him and chase it. i Try calling him to me put he just lays down and chews on the ball. When he does this i simply take the ball or bird and kennel him up. i Dont know what else to do so i was hoping the trainers on here with have some ideas...im knew to this and there WILL be more ?'s to come! Thanks...

KyleandDrake
Old 05-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEW TO TRAINING HELP

What training program (book - tape) are you following as your training guide?????
Old 05-31-2005, 10:10 AM

Put him on a rope and pull him the rest of the way to you. Be sure to praise him or give him a treat when he does it.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:30 AM

I think at 3 months he still has alot of puppy still in him it's like a 4 year old boy. His retreiving I would say is his instinct at this point. I would agree if you are going to try and train him yourself get a good training video "Water Dog" by Wolters is a good one.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:32 AM

Go to your local library and check out every bood and video on retriever and spaniel training. Watch and read them and choose the one you like the best and buy it. Most libraries have a great selection of books and videos. Some video stores can help too.

Dr Fatguy
Old 06-01-2005, 08:55 PM

when you do get the ball back say if he comes to close grab it quick and say good dog pet him and give him an ocassional piece of hotdog and remember be patient your dealin with a dog sometimes they are loving but other times they are stubborn.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, I ask ------- and await your reply [8D]
ORIGINAL: Doc E

What training program (book - tape) are you following as your training guide?????
Old 06-02-2005, 07:00 AM

Don't expect too much from a pup at his age. You train by making it fun for him and keep the sessions short. Put a short lead on him and when you you throw the object for him walk away from him and when he sees you going away he will run past you inviting you to play. As he goes past grab the lead and gently pull him to you. Let him hold the object a bit and then take it from him by rolling the lip onto his teeth exerting just enough pressure to get him to drop it. Then praise him and do this only a couple times before you play again. Remember he is like a baby yet.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 AM

I use several short sessions per day in a controlled environment, such as a narrow hallway. On the retrieve I say "here" and offer lots of praise after pup has delivered to "hand."
Old 06-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Sorry Doc E, ive been away for a couple days and havent had my comp. I havent been using anykid of training tool YET. Do you have any suggestions?

KyleandDrake

Quick Reply: NEW TO TRAINING HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.