Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

puppy food

Old 06-21-2005, 04:54 PM

Default RE: puppy food

Do you guys feed puppy food all the time? I have a GSP that is just over a year now and was thinking about keeping him on the puppy food for the extra nutrition. I feed him Purina Pro Plan puppy for large breeds.I have never seen Diamond dog foods around this area. I will have to look for it.

Sorry to hijack your post but I thought it might fit in to this discussion.
[/align]
Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 PM

Hey, I was wondering when to take a dog off of puppy food also?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MNfowlplay

Hey, I was wondering when to take a dog off of puppy food also?
Large breed dogs such as labs should be fed puppy food until they are fully grown to lessen the chance of HD.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Well I found a place that sells Diamond puppy food around here. Witch one should I get for a little over a year old GSP. I am switching from Pro plan to see if I can get his stools to harden up. He has had runny stools off and on since we have gotten him at 8 months old and he has been on Purina Pro plan puppy for large breeds.

Thanks
Jeff
[/align]
Old 06-23-2005, 03:43 PM

I've been feeding Canidae to my 5.5 year old Vizsla for 4years now and he has done excellent on it....coat couldn't be better. My new Vizsla is 10 weeks old and I have made the switch to Canidae for him as well. They don't have a Puppy line, so he's on the big boy food. I was a little nervous about making the switch, but everything has been great and I would recommend Canidae to anyone that listens!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silver GSP...For my 4 year old lab....I use Diamond High Energy Sporting Dog mix.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:40 PM

Purina Puppy Chow is the choice of Champions
Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 AM

I was told to keep them on puppy food all the time to get the highest protiene and fat content. Does this sound right or should I just switch to an addult high active dog food.
The only store around here that carries Diamond only sells

Diamond Puppy--
Crude Protein 31.0% minimum
Crude Fat 20.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Calcium 1.2% minimum
Phosphorus 1.2% maximum
Phosphorus 1.0% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.3% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*

Lamb & Rice --
Crude Protein 23.0% minimum
Crude Fat 14.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Calcium 1.2% minimum
Phosphorus 1.2% maximum
Phosphorus 1.0% maximum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.2% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4% minimum*

Premium adult--
Crude Protein 26.0% minimum
Crude Fat 18.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Ash 5.5% maximum
Calcium 1.2% minimum
Calcium 1.0% maximum
Phosphorus 1.0% minimum
Phosphorus 0.8% maximum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*I
I am not sure what contrubutes to the loose stools in the list above if any thing. But I would like peoples opinion on this. This is a in side house dog that I get to work out about 3 to 4 times a week in the off season. over a year old.
Thanks for the help guys
Jeff
Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM

I think you also have to take a look at what ingredients they are using to get those percentages. I feed my dogs NutriSource Adult. My pup is considered a medium breed and I really didn't see the point in feeding her the extra fat. There is a definite difference between "grocery store" dog food and the "premium" dog food. I don't think theres a question there, but I don't know if anyone can ever get a clear answer on what "premium" food is better.If the dog likes it andyour satified with the end result . Why change?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 AM

I have two labs. I started them both off with Iams large breed puppy. WHen my chocolate was about 6 months old he wouldnt touch the stuff. here we are 5 years later and my yellow pup has the puppy food and the chocolate wants to eat it now.

Quick Reply: puppy food

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.