Community
Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Mix It Up

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Mix It Up

After good success my first ever season hunting Turkey I thought I might share what worked well for me this year. Using several different types of calls just like using different fishing lures on the same fish worked for me. After geting set up ,decoys out gear positioned I would use my slate call first,yelps then clucks then the cuting hen call. I would then use my mouth call a Primos double reed seemed to work best for me and make the yelp and cuting hen call again about five minutes later. The 6 birds I called in all responded very quickly at around 3 to 4 in the afternoon on my hunts. The first Bird never gave me a clear shot,the second I took at 13 yards and let the other three jakes pass by,these four came in together in a bachelor group. The third taken by a youth I took hunting was the best of all,he came several hundred yards responding to the two call method with two hens set up. I had read where using several types of calls works real well and I put it to the test and agree that it is a good method to use for success. This is nothing new but I thought new hunters might be encouraged hearing this from another new hunter in his first year of hunting.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Typical Buck

Very encouraging to know that a first-timer can be soo successful. Were you on public, or private land? My wife has displayed interest in Turkey hunting, a feat I've not attempted myself. I'm in the learning, gearing up stages