Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting > Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics
 How I clean Turkeys or other big birds! UPDATED! >

How I clean Turkeys or other big birds! UPDATED!

Community
Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

How I clean Turkeys or other big birds! UPDATED!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How I clean Turkeys or other big birds!

Great post very informative, thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Default RE: How I clean Turkeys or other big birds! UPDATED!

You make it look so easy. I know there is no way I will have that smooth a time when the day comes that I have to do it.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey you want practice - go buy a whole chicken! I use chickens when I teach bird cleaning made easy at all my Huner Education courses.

JW
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind you do lose some of the flavor when you eliminate the skin and fat. The meat can dry out faster too. Having said that I do use this method mostly and thenchicken fry the meat.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for posting this...I have never killed a turkey and have always been nervous that if I did kill one, what I would do. Kind of like when I hadn't killed a deer and just winged it. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I breast them out which is very simple as well, I will try to explain to the best of my ability

1. Cut the wings off with a large pruning shears
2. Make a slit in the breast skin and start peeling the skin around the bird as far back as possible. You must pull it over the wingbones.
also pull it over the legs and thighs as far as possible.
3. Using a sharp knife slice under the crescent shaped bone on both sides of the turkey.The bone is near the back of the birdbut still located on the sides. (that is why it is important to peel the skin back as far as possible)
4. Continue from the crescent cutting all the way up the breast bone to where the esophogus and trachea go into the chest cavity. Do this from both side of the bird.
5. Grab the breast by the breast bone and pull back towards you, holding the neck down with your left hand. If you made the cuts complete the breast will pull out and all the guts will remain in the chest cavity. Pull th rib bones off and you have the entire breast of the turkey in hand.
6. Using the pruining shears cut the feet off at the knee and then cut the thighs out at the hip socket. this will leave you with the legs and thighs together.
I then like to crock pot the bird until the meat falls off the bone. Shread the meat and mix with turkey gravy and make turkey and gravy sandwiches. YUM YUM YUM. You don't have to worry about the meat drying out.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 PM

These are good tips, i bought all my gear for turkey hunting esp. choke tubes check out www.lg-outdoors.com
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

JW,thanks for your help.Worked great on my turkey today.Very clean and easy.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Do you guys typically eat the meat fresh, or soak in a salt bath before preparing?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:04 AM

Great thread, I will certainly use the tips you gave here.

Quick Reply: How I clean Turkeys or other big birds! UPDATED!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.