new x bow legislation?  in va >

new x bow legislation? in va

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

new x bow legislation? in va

Old 01-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default new x bow legislation? in va

does anybody out there know anything more about this?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...051+ful+HB2200
Old 01-27-2005, 12:11 PM

Default RE: new x bow legislation? in va

Looks like they may make hunting with a crossbow legal in this here State
Old 01-27-2005, 04:26 PM

That is the Gub-Ment at work for you...taking your hard earned money!!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have been watching this subject on another board with some interest and I was wodnering how long until it came up in here!! I have not voiced my opinion on the other board due to its elitist(sp?) attitude most of the time. But I will on here due to the fact that most of the heated conversation still remain mostly civil and not my way on no way.. god I love this board LOL!!!!

On to the subject at hand..crossbow use in Va.... Well I for one feel it is not going to be a bad thing for the state to implement the legal use of crossbows by those other than the disabled.

I feel it may very well possibly get a few more people into the sport of hunting in the state. I know it will get a decent amount of hunters in the state involved in the archery seasons. Both of these things mean more money for the state due to increased liscence sales. It means more buisness for local buisness both the small mom and pop type shops (yes there are a few around not many but a few) and the bigger ones from Greentop to Gander Mountain and Bass Pro, which means more money back into the state game funds. Another sad aspect will be the increased money from fines beacuse yes there will be those who will abuse the law or break it and some of them will get caught and ther is more money form those additional fines( I hate to think about this part but we all now its true no matter where you live there will alwyas be those who break the law).

I know it would allow my father who bow hunted for a good many years back in his younger years to participate in the archery season once again. Yes he has some helath issues and yes he coudl probably go get a permit for crossbow now due to his problems, but he is a proud man!! He does not wish to have special privilages to be able to hunt so he said he will stick with bp and shotgun season, I have tried to talk him into gettign a permit but he has his own personal reason which I admire and are one more thing to make me proud that he is my dad and the one who taught me about hunting! I have talked with him about the possible change and he said if the state changed it for everyone then yes he would probably go buy one! I know there are a few other people in the state that have their reasons for not getting the special permit but would probably take the season back up if made legal!

I do know there will be some downfalls to this and as a diehard bowhunter I am not overly happy about some of the thigns that could happen but I am all for getting more people involved in the outdoors and opening new avenues for people to persue the outdoors!!

I am not 100% decided on where I stand on if there should be a seperate season or a staggared (sp?) start to a archery season and a crossbow or use of crossbows. I see both sides of it. Maybe just open season state wide when the early urban season opens and then bring in the use of crossbows on the traditional opening of archery (first sat in oct.) Just a thought.

Well I will now sit here and wait for all the flack I am sure my stance on this is going to stir up but like I said... god I love this board LOL
Old 01-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

ENG400 - i happen to agree with you on everything you said. IMO i think that the gun hunters who tried bow hunting 10-20 years ago will give it a shot. i also believe that at least 50% of the new x bow hunters will probably give it up within 2 years. as for myself, i love shooting my bow but i also hunt w/ a ml and rifle. i was going to purchase a new matthews but i may wait to see about this new legislation.

i basically consider myself a HUNTER using a bow, ml, or rilfe as a means to an end. so i can prob add a xbow to that list.