Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA elk

Old 12-26-2004, 03:31 PM

Default RE: VA elk

The big moose inn is located right at the base of mt katahdin at baxter state park right outside of millinocket which is an hour north of bangor. it is some of the most breathtaking country i have ever seen. my family has owned the inn as long as it has been around and if your ever in that area its worth checking out. also as far as deer hunting goes here in va it is awesome. i have always had excellent luck. im sure its in part to my area has nothing but farmland. the der stick to it for a few reasons such as food is plentifull and the fact that as building goes on the only place for the deer is to stick to the big farms and you shouldnt have any problems getting on some nice bucks but the elk hunting is not something i have ever tried here since to me it is just a big waste of time. if you are talking about a heard of 12 then your not the only one that knows they are there. they are being harvested as quick as they wonder of the state lines. but if you look at some outfitters in colorado i hear they are going down in price on good elk hunts especially if you want a management bull versus a monster trophy. their management bulls are twice the size of the big bulls that may wonder into va. alot of the outfitters in colorado hold alot of the yellowstone strain elk. that would be my choice. but im not to big into hunting elk like i am for hunting whitetail. now i want to go on a mulie hunt bad but never had any real chance to get to do it.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 PM

vt buckrulss I am formally from vermont myself.Good luck hunting in Virginia. Could you please give me any info on hunting moose in Vermont.I am originally from a small town called Bridgewater vt. not sure if you have heard of it or not.I miss the hunting rules in Vermont such as if not posted hunting is okay.I currently live in south carolina and belong to a hunt club that leases land to hunters. The seasons here are long but I miss hunting in Vt.Good luck and please e mail with any helpful info thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Typical Buck

VA HEAD HUNTER, I live in KY and was just wondering why your DNR calls them a "nuiscance animal" and don't want them around over there? No offense at all to you local Virginian's, but it kind gripes my butt to know that VA has an "open season" on them when KY's DNR has spent all the time and money to reintroduce them back into this part of the country. I've put in for the draw every year Ky has had one with pretty much no chance of getting a tag and with the attitude of Virginia's DNR, I may NEVER get drawn. Like I said, no offense to you VA guys, but elk were in this part of the country 150 years ago, so why not now?

Carter
Old 12-29-2004, 10:18 AM

T/C FAN
you are exactly right elk were native 150 years ago but that was before there were cars and people living everywhere and also before politicians who are against it. i would love to see them here personally but from what i know about the situation is that they are not wanted. if they were then they would protect them instead of allow shooting them. we dont even have elk tags. if you shoot one all you have to do is check it in with a deer tag. virginia has turned down trying to establish elk here in the past. the elk that are coming in are satelite herds that are wondering from kentucky. as quick as they come in they get harvested. there was a picture of a guy who had 2 calfs on the back of his rollback towtruck that he killed last year. if i can find the info and pic ill send it to you. i wish they would stop the hunting of them so that the numbers would increase but i seriouslly doubt that will happen.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:14 PM

thanks for the info on vermont hunting vtbuckrulrss.I MAY TRY TO GET A MOOSE PERMIT IN VT. this year.How did you do in virginia hunting for elk?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

hey redsoxfan, god i had trouble just writing that name, lol being a yankees fan. sorry to forget the moose info. it is by a permit draw, the apps can be downloaded from the state's website right now, i believe it is a ten dollor fee for app, one app p.p. then, new this year, if drawn it is 100 bucks for the tag, and it may be more for an out of state person. i think ten percent of the tags go to out of state people, 800? tags last year, so 80 non-residents get drawn. toughest hunt i have ever done. i tagged one on the third day this year, a 682lb. cow, with only 10 minutes left for my season( couldn't get any more time off). be prepared if drawn for a lot of work. put in on the app that you will accept a cow only permit( like mine was) if you get drawn to increase your chances. or, n.h. is supposed to have better odds for noin residents to get drawn the vt does, that's where i have to put in for this year. haven't had a lot of luck on the elk info, but i still have lots of time to figure it out. i was also invited, with a friend if he goes out to wyoming to hunt elk, have to wait and see on that also.
Pat
p.s. hey t/c fan, the reason that va wants them killed is twofold, according to their website.. 1) they said that if there were to be any reintroduction of elk into va, they want to do it themselves, and decide the who, what where, and when, and 2) they say they are worried about CWD. that's all i can find out about that.