Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Virginia Gun ranges? >

Virginia Gun ranges?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Gun ranges?

Old 12-05-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Virginia Gun ranges?

Anyone know of any gun ranges here in the central to Northern VA with a considerable range to shoot at. 250-400 yards? I've only been able to find one near Winchester that has a 100 yard range underground. When I was stationed at Ft Lee...south of Richmond...we had a range that went to 250 or 300. Kind of nice. They had gongs set up at the furthest distance.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 AM

Default RE: Virginia Gun ranges?

One of the only places I know of would be Quantico Base. There you can shoot out to 1000 yards. But first, you have to join their Rod & Gun club (normally a waiting list), then, have all your firearms inspected that you want to shoot (limit of 3 firearms inspection per visit), then wait till you find a Rangemaster who 'feels' like opening the range. I found it more of a PITA than there was benefit. You can also check into the Issiac Walton league. I've heard they have several ranges but I don't know distances or what their future might be. There is a private club in NVA that offers shooting out to 300 yards, but membership is expensive and there's always a waiting list for membership as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 PM

Quantico is probably the best you can find around the area as far as distance, although I don't shoot there myself. I used to work for the NRA, and I use their range, but it's only 100 yds. However, they allow anything up to a .470 Weatherby.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Spike

The Winchester-Frederick Conservaton Club has a range, but not sure how long. It is outdoors, and members only I think. Also, there is a range at Sleepy Creek. This is in WV, just north or Winchester. Again it is outdoors, but open to the public. I know that WV Nat'l Guard uses this sometimes for their manuevers etc...
Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to work for the NRA, and I use their range, but it's only 100 yds. However, they allow anything up to a .470 Weatherby.
Hey, just need to clear something up. The NRA range is 50 yards and allows up to the .460 Wby. It's a really nice place to shoot, but 50 yards leaves a bit to be desired. You also can't use anything but slugs in your shotgun, which annoys me a bit.

When I want to do some rifle shooting, I go to the Hap Baker Range in Westminster, MD. It's outdoors back behind the county landfill (suprisingly little smell out there) with 25/50/100/200 yard targets. It's a couple hours from NoVA, but I usually go anyway (my family still lives up there) to hang out with my cousin/hunting partner/shooting buddy.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Try http://www.wheretoshoot.org/
Old 12-10-2004, 10:39 PM

My mistake and humble apologies for the bogus information, Aught - the NRA Range is 50 yards and accomodates anything up to a .460 Weatherby, NOT 100 yards and .470, as I erroneously stated. [&:]
Old 12-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

My mistake and humble apologies for the bogus information, Aught - the NRA Range is 50 yards and accomodates anything up to a .460 Weatherby, NOT 100 yards and .470, as I erroneously stated.
No problem. I just remember that someone once told me it was 100 yards, and when I got there for the first time, I was a bit disappointed. Oh well, how much can you fit in the basement of an office building in Fairfax, anyway?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Not much, apparently. I did read about a group called the "National Sportsman Assocation" in Woodbridge where I live, apparently. I inquired as to their membership and got some info in the mail. They have a 300 yd rifle range, I think is what I read, and an archery, skeet and handgun set up as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 AM

Check out http://www.fxrgc.org/ for info on a super range in NVA.
It's expensive to join, but the dues are not bad and you might have to wait alittle while to get your membership. They have ranges for most anything you care to shoot. It truely is a premier facility. Membership is limited so getting range time is never a problem.

Quick Reply: Virginia Gun ranges?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.