Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 The scent of Vanilla >

The scent of Vanilla

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

The scent of Vanilla

Old 11-18-2004, 04:55 PM

Default The scent of Vanilla

I have read before that deer are attracted to the sent of vanilla. Does anyone know if this is true or not ???
Old 11-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The scent of Vanilla

I know hogs are, but not sure about deer.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:03 PM

I have used it. Cant say that it really helped. Cant say that it hurt. I know that yellow jackets love the stuff.

I guess that puts it in the category with snake oil....if you believe it, it works.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 PM

Cant say if it works but have used for years my Papaw tought me this one have had dear walk as close as five yards and they didnt attak me so i guess maybe it does work i do know this when i go in woods i will have some vanilla scent on and i have fairly good luck with getting at least one a year
[:-]
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 PM

It works. I bowhunt and I haven't been busted once this year. Thats all my hunt club uses. weve killed 10 deer with one pope and young buck out of illinois. Vanilla Killa. I believe Team Fitzgerald actually had some out
Old 12-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I would stay away from any scent unless:
rut is in......
Any other time stay natural for your surroundings. Use what is around the area you hunt.
If anything just use a scent killer the less scent of any kind the better.
Ooopps, I ahve too say I have used some red fox pee to kill my scent at my stand before but only in bow season.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 AM

i agree with firstbow about staying away from scents but i dont even use them in the rut . i think they are all usless for one simple reason. they are not fresh. bacteria sets up in urine almost as soon as it hits the air and it goes bad. for example my buddy this year wanted to buy standing estrous for 40 bucks a bottle and i told him he was crazy so what does he do? he buys it and guess what yea its a pretty yellow sealed but he opened it one day and the next day it was dark brown and getting darker every day after that and that is the bacteria breakdown that makes it stale and usless. the best thing to do is do your homework early in the year and find where the deer are and where they are moving through and spend the money for scentlok and eliminate your odor and you will be bagging deer without contaminating the area with storebought junk. deer are nervous enough as it is and your only making them more nervous by adding unfamiliar smells to their area. what scents are is a marketing tool for companies to sell a product but i have never had a scent work and i have hunted for 25 years and have taken some nice trophies and it only got better once scentlok came out.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:01 AM

i've tried it in the past, had some luck a few time with young deer,i perfer using fresh pine needles,put your clothes in a vented laundgry bag when your not wearing them.no need to spend alot of money at the store,theirs so many of them, you'd go broke tring each of them,if you want to use deer urine,(doe or buck)just save it from the next kill, thats as fresh as it gets,
Old 12-30-2004, 05:10 PM

the key to cover scents is to use a cover scent that is in the area you are hunting. this is where alot of people shoot themselves in the foot. if you use a scent that they are not used to then it will not necessarilyspook them but it will make them cautios and that could make the deer not show itself till dark. the best thing to use is scentlok. scent ilimination is the key. to be succesful you want to iliminate human scent and wait on the deer to come to you. trying to atract deer is about the hardest way to hunt unless you are baiting them and i think that is just plain lazy. if your going to do that then you might as well just use a spotlight.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 PM

va hh, i agree scentlok is the best,and you should use what is natural to your area.as for baiting i live and hunt in alabama,baiting was a big issue this year, it still did not pass.

Quick Reply: The scent of Vanilla

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.