South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

[Deleted]

Old 10-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-14-2004, 10:52 AM

Default RE: Georgia Deer hunting

Hate to break this to you, but at that time the deer will be in the post rut, unless you happen to be in extreme south Georgia. Your best bet would be to hunt some type of food source or a transistion zone/staging area. Where will you be hunting in Georgia? Maybe I can give you some more pointers. Good Luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 PM

when do you expect the rut to kick in this year
Old 10-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Spike

Where I hunt in Heard and Troup counties it looks like the rut is going to be earlier than normal. We're already seeing lots of scrapes and rubs. I'd guess that we're about 3-4 weeks away, possibly sooner if the cold front sticks around.

If you can pick up a copy of the recent Georgia Outdoor News magazine, I believe they have a rutt guide for the state that just came out.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:08 PM

What a trip: it must be the grass is always greener I guess. I have a land lease in Georgia, live in southern Florida and plan on hunitng in Indiana over Thanksgiving.

Really intersted in this post you made though. Watching and learning.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-18-2004, 10:41 PM

bigbuck00, I got a couple buddies that hunt in Tifton and I have hunted their from time to time myself. The biggest deer killed on their property last year was shot on Thanksgiving day. He chased a doe across a picked cotton field early in the afternoon. Like everyone said, you'll be a little late but you should catch the tail end of it. I don't think their is going to be an early rut. Every year is supposed to be an early rut, but it always seems to kick in about the same time.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:25 AM

I hunt in Carroll Co. Ga and we have already seen a lot of action. The deer are starting to herd up. We saw 6 cross a field last week. Opening day we killed 4. The next day we were still seeing them. It may just be where we are but the deer are a lil un-predictable this year. I think the full rut is right around the corner. By thanksgiving it will probably be right at the tail end of it.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:13 PM

The Oct.GON magazine has a good map for the rut dates in all of GA. See if your family can pick one up and mail it to you. From what I saw of the map SW GA has a rut around Thanksgiving and later tha that. Tifton to the SW would be in that area so see if you can get one of thos magazines.