Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Minimum age requirements to hunt? >

Minimum age requirements to hunt?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Minimum age requirements to hunt?

Old 03-03-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Minimum age requirements to hunt?

Hey guys I need a little help with the minimum age requirements for junior hunters in some of the southern states. I have a son thats chomping at the bit to hunt and don't to wait till he turns 12 here in Pa. He will be 9 in Sept. and I'd like to try to set something up for next hunting season. I used to live in Va. and could probably set up a hunt there, but I'm not sure if the laws have changed since I moved away. I am asking of all southern states because typicaly you can start hunting at an earlier age in the south.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 03-03-2002, 10:52 AM

Default RE: Minimum age requirements to hunt?

don't know what you call the south,I'm in Fla., Ga.;Ala. that the south to us. lol lol
just kidding,in Fla.as long as they can pass a hunter safty course they can hunt,with an adult till they are 16.
check the webb for the state you want.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:18 AM

Thanks Tree climber. I have checked of the web sites and they are not real clear on giving minimum age requirements. They let you whether hunter safety is required but they don't say much about how old you have to be.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:44 AM

as far as I can find,if they can pass the test they can hunt.I do know thats the way it is in Fla.(talked to HEC instructor).

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Edited by - tree climber on 03/03/2002 12:45:11
Old 03-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Alabama there is no minimum age and hunters safety course is not required. A hunting license is required at age 16.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Georgia, you have to pass a hunters safty class. I asked the senior Warden localy, if there was an age required. He said as long as he passes the class, hes good to go. He passed it when he was almost ten, and killed his first deer right after he turned ten last year. Didnt get nothing this year though.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:30 AM

my oldest started hunting with me at five. he shot his first deer at 10. took hunter ed at 11 and killed one at 11. i let him hunt a little alone at 11 with a motorola radio.he's 12 and next year he is bound and determined he is on his own.
wants to build his stand! in arkansas thats legal. hunter ed card is req. to hunt without adult. hunter ed number serves as hunting lic.number until 16. at ten they just checked it as under sixteen. and wrote his birthday on the check sheet.
if he wasnt mature enough i would not have let him hunt alone. but he is safer than a lot of adults i know.and probably spent more time around guns and in the woods. now i am working on my 7 y/o and soon to come my 1 y/o daughter. (she already loves the turkey hunting videos)
Old 03-04-2002, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

BBHPete I just happened to have the reg book on my desk, in Va. he can hunt under age 12 without hunter safety course, but he must be in the company of a parent, legal gaurdian or an adult appointed by th parent or legal gaurdian holding a legal hunting license. Hope that helps.

The Tazman
Old 03-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2002, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

Taz if the yougster is hunting with me and he shoots a deer do I put my tag on it?
I will definetly be trying to set up a hunt in Va. But am interested in other states also. I have an uncle in south Alabama with 80 acres, thats a possibility.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited

Quick Reply: Minimum age requirements to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.