Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Va... Season is almost here.!!!! >

Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Old 09-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

I don't bowhunt, but I will be getting ready for Blackpowder season! its just around the corner. If we continue to get the cool nights I might go out and clear my paths out next friday morning. it will be here before we know it!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all!!!

Well sadly I am thinkign that unless we find a miracle we will have to keep looking for next year... if we dont give up we will find something!!!!!!

I do however have a few small private chunks of land I can hunt that I might be able to take a guest or two with me hunting..so hopfully I will be getting to spend some time in the woods with some of you on here!!!

Bucth why dont you get your qauntico pass and come up here and bow hunt with me and Dave( Vasavage) We have done alot of scouting and as you can see from the pictures we have been in some good spots.. Its just a thought heck anyone who is interested let me know I will get you the info and maybe we can try to orginize a day for a group of us from here to hunt together!!

Feel free to email me anytime @ [email protected]

Justin
Old 09-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

ARE YOU READ FOR SOME BACK STRAPS!!!

Yeah the distance of time is closing in rapidly as we all prepare to out wit the creatures of mother nature.

I'm so pumped up and ready, I've been shooting every day to stay sharp etc. Heck that new Block I bought a couple of weeks ago is already Tore Up...lol

But as Eng said keep an open mind just incase one of these land owners calls me back. Also I would really like to hunt with many of the members here besides Eng He snores!..lmao Just kidding I'm willing to travel so email me and let's have some fun. Oh! I got four new cobra radios to utilize up to 5 mile range.

[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 09-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Hey dave have you been talking to my GF again?? about the snoreing LMAO Anyway did you get anything in the mail???
Old 09-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Spike

Chesterfield here. I am ready. I did some serious scouting at A.P. Hill yesterday. Lots of acorns. Found "The" spot for saturday evening.

I don't hunt with a club. AP Hill is full of deer and is 55 miles from my door. $40 for about 35,000 acres. Not much pressure at all during bow season. You have to check it out.

Bowhunt Pocohantas guys. Public land gets such a bad rap that there is little pressure. I hunt some mornings there and some after work. It is close to the house. If you guys want to hook up at the park, give me a yell. I can use the help dragging the deer.

Lets hunt.

Dayton
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pocahonatas? You're kidding.... I've been all over it (non-hunting) - my company has our annual picnic there, and other times my wife, girls, and I have gone down there swimming many times. I've never seen deer there though (obviously - deer stay away from the picnic area, people, swimming pool, volleyball area, horseshoes, etc...etc...) Where is the hunting area? Across the street where the mountain biking trails are?

Butch A.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Spike

I'm not kidding about Pocahantas. I would wager 1-2 deer get hit every week within sight of the main entrance. A friend at work has gotten two himself driving to work before light.

The main park land is everything between Beach road (main entance) and Courthouse, with the creek/lake basically dividing it in two halves. You can think of the two roads and the creek being parallel lines. Everything on the main entrance side over to the lake is non-hunting. All the land from Courthouse to the creek is huntable. There is also hunting land on the other side of Beach rd between the main entrance and Woodpecker road. Of course, the non-hunting side is FULL of deer, but the other area are decent. There are also two other pieces of the park over off of Woodpecker road that are huntable.

Turning off of Rt. 10 on to courthouse see all the parking areas (yellow gates) on the left heading out. All huntable. Plenty of land. Now turn left on Newbys bridge, still all huntable on the left (1.5 miles). Another left on Qualla, still huntable on the left, down to the creek.

It really is a decent place to hunt. Not super, but not bad. I like it for a quick fix close to home. I could easily hunt it every evening after work.

If you want to know more or see some of it, get back with me. There is one area that I like (and only ever seen one other guy there) that I would like to have two other guys to hunt with me. Three spots look good, And I can never decide which tree to hunt.

And there is a great little nook in another area that I don't mind showing someone who is serious about bowhunting.

Oh, there is a blaze orange requirment even for bowseason. Hat and vest. And if you are waiting at my truck you will see that I always have both on when I leave the truck and when I return.

See ya,

Dayton
Old 09-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ranger690.... "You've got mail"!

Butch
Old 09-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Eng,

No! I guess your mailman runs much more frequent than mine..lol I'm hoping to see something Monday. Besides I don't get mail around here til about 5 p.m. if I'm lucky.

Pocahonatas - I was reading some material about this property, it don't appear to be hunter pressured, maybe something to look at much closer.

Butch - Cumberland is there a big enough area for 5-6 people for a small hunt?

Well today I became a cardholder of the IBEP, just need to now go qualify Wednesday on Belvoir. Yes they held a training class on a Sunday...lol $22.00 to hunt fort belvoir plus the $7.50 for the IBEP class not bad. They have a management area where you can take a Buck with 4 scorable pts per side or a 15" spread it's been highly talked about and holds some quality bucks.

Of course there's many other areas for those who just wants to shoot anything reasonable coming there way. The good thing is Belvoir is minutes away and gives me the extended season into March.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: VaSavage270
Butch - Cumberland is there a big enough area for 5-6 people for a small hunt?
Hey there.... Cumberland is big. It rivals Fort AP Hill in acreage. But unlike WMA's, Cumberland has areas that are like speckled on a map and is more like AP Hill is a way... {i.e. You can hunt here.... D'oh! you can't hunt there.... You can hunt over here.... But not over there...} You really gotta read the state forest map.

But, yes, there are areas that are plenty big for a 5-6 man hunt group. All that is needed it a state forest stamp ($10 bucks) and you're on your way. [8D]

Butch A.

Quick Reply: Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.