va-game checkin on line?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

va-game checkin on line?

Old 08-31-2004, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: va-game checkin on line?

pocomoke,

Do you live or hunt in a state that uses an automated check in system? I know several hunters and law enforcement officers who love the automated check in systems. As a law enforcement officer myself, I can tell you if you think people will not get caught under the new system you are crazy. I can also tell you a great deal of illegal hunting activity is caught because of tips from other hunters.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:26 PM

Va no I hunt in Maryland and we still have to take to a check in station.I will be hunting Virginia in Rockingham Co. for the 1st time in 20 years.I do see that it sure makes checking a deer alot easier.We used to bust a gut to get a deer out of the woods and to the check station which close early in the area we hunted.

I just didnt want to see some numbnuts who is popping deer at night being able to easily get a tag for his/her illegal deer.I hope it works well...
Old 09-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just give the system a chance to work is all I'm saying. From my understanding, most areas that use this type of system actually have an increase in reported kills because it is easier to check a kill in. I will not disagree that some will take advantage of the situation and use it to their advantage. Eventually these people get caught. We as hunters need to keep our eyes and ears open for suspicious and illegal activities and report them to the proper authorities.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:04 AM

Pocomoke,

I think you are right. The "fear" factor of being caught at the check in station is a deterent to those that may want to bend the rules a little. I want to make it hard for poachers to get their meat butchered and their heads stuffed. This program makes it easier.

VAhunter,

Are you kidding me!!!!!! Rely on other hunters to turn people in?? I am sure it does happen sometimes but if that is the states answer to "law enforcement" we are in a world of hurt.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I will be heading to VA for the frontloader opener (I think), and I hope to stay there right through the GF season. This will be very convenient and so I will like it very much. But I think the system will increase poaching by giving poaching opportunities to guys of marginal integrity-- guys who under the old system did not poach for fear of getting caught. If the season's harvest statistics move downward markedly, I will suspect both increased poaching and hunters who simply decided not to bother calling in. That would be a shame.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blood Trail,
Maybe you should read my post again. I did not say anywhere in my post that the state should rely on other hunters or citizens to provide law enforcement. I was simply stating everyone should become involved. I am a law enforcement officer and can tell you many criminals are caught because they are #1.) turned in by normal everyday citizens, #2)they do not know how to keep their mouths shut and #3)their buddies do not know how to keep their mouths shut. Obviously, many are caught by investigative and patrol work as well but citizen involvement is a higly important tool for law enforcement. If this were not the case then our neighborhood watch programs would not even exist. Virginia even has a crime watch for wildlife that is modeled after the neighborhood watch programs. Here is a link, maybe you should read up on it:

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildcrime/index.html

If you expect the VDGIF to catch every wildlife violation without any citizen or hunter involvement you are sadly mistaken and misinformed. The Virginia Game Wardens do a great job but they are spread thin and underfunded. I am positive they will welcome any tips or information anyone may have.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:49 PM

VAhunter,

I understand that crime watches may be effective, no question but they are limited. How is the state going to enforce this model? What kind of follow up can be done 10 days later. The evidence is gone? I have many friends in LE. I think its a difficult job. Too many issues not enough time. I think in an effort to save money the state made for work for itself to enforce the laws. I hope is works.

I for one like the freedom of choice but it will have its drawbacks.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your concerns but I don't think the floodgates for poaching will be opened. If the system was that bad don't you think other states would have abandoned similar check in systems by now? IMO the two biggest problems will be: 1.) hunters checking in small bucks as anterless deer to save buck tags and 2.)once the hunter gets home with his deer he simply will not check the deer in.

Remember, once you recover a deer you are required to notch the appropriate tag until you call in, check in or check in via internet the kill and get a confirmation #. If you are caught with a deer in your possession that does not match what is notched or the tag is not notched you are busted. I will be willing to bet there will be many citations given for improperly tagged/checked deer this year.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

if you take the deer to a check station--do they give you a # to write on your tags or will they give you a card(like before)? what if you are in a club that checks their own deer in. i would assume that it would be just like last year and years before.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

o2bebowhunting,

Regardless of how you intend to check your kill in, make sure you remove the notch on the appropriate tag before you move the kill. The way I understand it, if you check in at a checking station you will get a check card like years before. However, you must still record the number off of the card onto the apprpriate notched tag in ink.

I'm not really familiar with the clubs checking deer in so I will pass on that question. I am assuming your club is using DMAP or DCAP tags?

Quick Reply: va-game checkin on line?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.