Need advice on Oklahoma turkeys >

Need advice on Oklahoma turkeys

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Need advice on Oklahoma turkeys

Old 02-21-2002, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default Need advice on Oklahoma turkeys

Looking for information on hunting turkeys in western Oklahoma. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:09 AM

Default RE: Need advice on Oklahoma turkeys

What do you need to know?
Old 02-22-2002, 08:44 AM
Spike

I'm planning to hunt public land and won't be getting there till the second weekend. I have all the maps and information on the areas. I'm looking for personal information or advice. I'm looking for...hot spots to try, peak gobbling times, peak breading periods, good areas to avoid the hunting pressure, hunting pressure to expect, good spots to camp, techniques that work good on the public rios, good local contacts to talk with, etc.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:25 AM

Peak breeding time is about the 2nd and 3rd week of April normally. Which public grounds are you looking at? Ft. Supply, Cooper, Packsaddle, Etc?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:08 AM
Spike

I'm looking at Canton, Packsaddle, Black Kettle, Ft. Supply, and Cooper. Right now it's in that order, but I'm looking for some advice.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:01 AM

I think that Canton probably has the most birds and Ft. Supply and Cooper aren't bsad either. I don't know much about Black Kettle or Packsaddle. I do know that Packsaddle has some hogs and the terrain is really rough in some areas. You will want to look close to the creeks and rivers with all the big cottonwoods on them. The terrain is pretty wide open and lets you spot them from a distance. Good Luck to you. Do you have the maps of those places? The ODWC sells them.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:08 AM
Spike

I've purchased the book from the ODWC with maps of all the areas. Advice like yours is what I need now to be able to plan where and how to go about hunting the birds. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:38 PM

On our local outdoor Okla show they said Black Kettle is good for Turkey also.I have never been west but have friends say birds are plentiful.I hunt in ne.Okla.Welcome to Sooner land.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:38 AM
Spike

Thanks Big dd! Good luck!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:35 AM

Western Oklahoma has a lot of birds. Actually the word a lot doesnt even describe how many birds there are. I hunt in the County Woodward. The farmers there hare turkeys and most are more than happy to let you hunt. Weve been hunting this one guys land for 17 years and he gets mad if we dont shoot every turkey we see, same with deer. Black kettle is supposadly the best, but i dont hunt public land so i cant tell you much about it. If you go to the panhandle of the state, theres Rios along with Merriems. Best breeding time is about the 3rd week in April but a lot depends on the weather. Whenever it gets to where you dont wnat to hunt cause its so hot, thats peak breeding time. lol. The terrain is sandy with scattered hills. Evergreen patches dot the countryside. Theres plenty of woods to keep turkeys roosting but there usually small and open into big grassy flats. Hope you get one.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Oklahoma turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.